Good spots to learn backcountry skiing

aikidjoe

Hi all,

I'm an intermediate skiier (for reference - can ski black diamond, and dbd but it's not pretty) who is just getting into back country skiing with a friend who is an advanced skier, but also just getting into the back country. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for good places to start touring? Looking for areas. My hope is to one day add ski mountaineering to the repertoire.

Thanks!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am completely biased, but I don't think you can go wrong with Snoqualmie Pass. Of course, its very close to almost over (if its not there already) - but there's still the Muir snowfield and the south side of Mt Baker, Mt Adams, and Mt Hood to get going on!

Since you posted your question on Memorial Day, I'd recommend either the Mt Baker ski area or Mt Rainier (either Paradise or Steamboat Prow). Those areas will have lots of snow for another month or two. Spring is a good time to try ski touring. Watch out for steep slopes when the snow is mushy and cornices anytime.