• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
jewshua

cascade river road 2013

does anybody have an beta on the conditions of cascade river road and the approaches for Eldorado and Boston Basin area?

i am thinking about trying to get out there soon.

At best you can park at the Eldorado trailhead. At worst, probably mile 10 or so.

approaches will be almost entirely snow, excepting maybe the first bit of the Eldorado approach.

I'm heading up El Dorado with friends the weekend of the 5th. The climbing ranger said to expect snow before the trailhead and high clearance 4WD conditions. Weird weather lately though; one week it's high 50's and the next the snow level is at 500'

J

If you're interested in two week-old secondhand information, a friend skied Eldorado on the 9th and said it was ~6 miles to the Eldorado TH.

3/23 -- Drivable in a normal car to mile 13. With high clearance, a shovel, and a chainsaw, it would be possible to get to mile 17. Beyond that, the road has 2-3 feet of snow on it.

How many trees need to be cleared (and what size)? This is good info Kurt, thanks! And nice work on the Isolation!

A couple trees that varied from 14-20" diameter. There are a lot of downed branches, but those are easy to deal with. I bet the road is melting out more by the day.

The Hidden Lakes Peak/Sibley Road was drivable to 1800' according to some other folks who we ran into.

Great, thanks much. We may be heading that way so will bring a saw, etc...

Thinking about a day run up Eldorado Wed or Thurs next week.

Wondering how the old Subaru wagon will fare to the TH...

d

Jason, maybe you guys can shovel it out to the Eldo TH while ur up there cutting...

So this old man wouldn't have such an arduous hike to get started...

Thanks!

d

Edited by dougd

yeah!

And to add, the Eldo trail was pretty easy to follow up (if you know where it normally goes) to the boulder field last weekend. There was about 6-16" of snow over it most of the way, but I bet a lot of that has melted off since we were there.

All I know is I drove by the TH sign last spring on my way up to the cascade parking lot to climb Sahale. That was my first time in there.

Guess I can find my way back there, mosey on up and have a look around.

Thanks,

d

Well, don't count on us, plans have changed. We're heading to the great white north.

I made it to mineral park campground last week with 4WD and parked next to a subaru with a trailer. A jeep arriving at the same time as me went for it and got stuck. On the hike out though a sizable group heading for Forbidden had managed to power through the deep spot beyond Mineral Park and got a mile or two closer to the Eldo parking lot.

J