Airbag Backpack Effectiveness Article

Bronco

Article Here: http://utahavalanchecenter.org/blog-avalanche-airbag-effectiveness-something-closer-truth

Bottom Line:

Ignore the 97% number and the 3% number. My best guess is that avalanche airbag packs will probably save a little more than half of those who would have otherwise have died in an avalanche. They will never save all of them because 1 out of 4 will likely die from trauma of hitting trees and rocks on the way down and an additional 1 out of 4 will probably end up in a terrain trap (deep burial), buried by a secondary avalanche or caught in an avalanche that does not travel far enough for the inverse segregation process to work (larger objects rise to the surface).

In addition, people will increase their exposure to risk because of the perception of increased safety, which will cancel out some, but not all, of the effectiveness of avalanche airbags.

As usual, our choice of terrain is far more important than rescue gear. Un-survivable terrain will always be un-survivable. In terrain with few obstacles, terrain traps, sharp transitions and smaller paths, avalanche airbags have the potential to save significantly more than half of those who would have otherwise died. And that sounds pretty good to me.

I wonder if the Cascades would be considered less than optimal terrain for ABS bags (as opposed to the Rockies) considering the cliffy terrain and density of tree strainers. I also wonder what the difference is between the $1200 and $500 ABS packs.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that, great write up. I imagine we will have a better idea of the effectiveness locally as these things become standard issue for those in the backcountry. Even if it is only a 30% increase in survival, that is still significant. As was stated though, terrain selection is, and always will be, key.

Thanks for that, great write up. I imagine we will have a better idea of the effectiveness locally as these things become standard issue for those in the backcountry. Even if it is only a 30% increase in survival, that is still significant. As was stated though, terrain selection is, and always will be, key.

Agreed.

+1