Mt. Cook New Zealand Question

Ducknut

A business trip takes me to New Zealand next December (2003). I would like to see if I could hook up on a Mt. Cook climb. Anyone know of any climbs scheduled for next December, have climbing contacts in NZ or have suggestions on making climbing contacts in NZ? Thanks.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you do not line up something in advance, you may do OK to just show up and see who's there. When I was there fifteen years ago, I first climbed the regular route with a parter I had lined up in advance and we had a good climb but I wanted more. So I picked up a partner for one of the south face routes, an Aussie named Malcom, and he turned out to be a much better partner than my first one. I've picked up partners this way when travelling quite a few times, and so far I have never regretted it.

I am just coming back from Mt Cook. I suggest if you can get a partner to come with you. But if not then you should be ok in Dec. I was there all of november and the first week in Dec and people are starting to come. Dec ember should be ok for conditions and should be able to get up some stuff. If you have any questions just ask that is what I did there learned what to do for next time.