Gettin Punked by the old man

Cpt.Caveman

Any of you guys climb with dudes that are over 40 or even 50?

Well I do quite regularly, and I am only 20 something. I just was climbing with some dude last night and got my arse kicked. I had a little trouble doing a 5.10 but no falls. Homey hiked it in no time flat. Then he was rearing up on the 5.11b pumpfest. Lead it in style then I hangdogged and flailed up it after about 12 falls tongue.gif Next gray haired dude steps up to 11d and redpoints it. I could not even finish the route!

Later I learned homey had climbed Mt Huntington, a slew of other Mtns in Alaska, as well as a ton of stuff in Yosemite including the Astroman in 1980. Him being a pretty big dude apparently there was debate in Camp4 on weather he could fit through the harding slot smile.gif So he made it. I guess his beta was that he should wear a slick nylon shirt in there. Heheheh.

I also climb with 2 other older dudes that are hard as nails. Anyone else get schooled too?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I climb semi regularily with an older guy now reaching 50 who claims he is now edging down out of the 12 range back into hard 11s as his limit. Wears rock shoes over wool socks even in the gym. Has 'cave draws*' made of tied webbing with an oval biner at each end. Down-solos 10a. Last bought a piece of gear in 1993. Can do 20 situps while hanging off a hangboard by his toes. Climbed 11cR alpine onsight first ascent with a certain B.B. while resident in Washingtion in the 80s. Yeah I mean Andy Cairns. The guy is a full on hero and he doesn't even know it.

* This term coined by G. Foweraker.

Hey Cave dude! Some of us "geezers" in our 40's or beyond are climbing better now than when we were in our 20's. For one thing, the older fellers are often wiser if not smarter. I finesse my way up stuff I used to throw myself at 20 years ago. I watch the weather conditions and other factors much more carefully now because I'm more success-driven. I've got 27 years of experience behind me from which to draw on for decision-making. I'm in better shape because I train smarter and am more motivated. Furthermore, I work for and with a famous explorer who is 87 years old and both physically and mentally very fit and can keep the pace on a mountain hike. And oh yah, my former guiding boss, Jim Donini - he's approaching his mid-50's and is still one of the world's best alpinists and could easily make a random sample of several of us look pretty pathetic.

So, maybe you should explore the possibility of climbing more with the "older" climbers. You'll probably learn more from the ones who have been doing it longer and they probably have better stories to tell.

Have a nice day, sonny!

- Dwayner

Almost everyone I climb with is older than me...

I always look at the bright side... when I get my butt kicked by someone old enough to be my dad I always figure at least I'm not past it. There's still scope for getting better not older.

I guess being utterly crushed on a hike upto a hut in South America by someone with nearly twenty years on me and no lower legs (prosthetics and crutches) was a bit disasterous though.