GPS Receivers?

AdventureRun

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The eTrex 30 runs right at $300.00 and includes altimeter and compass, both of which are real handy to have in the GPS. Yes you should carry analog backups, but with an eTrex 30, you only have one unit to deal with when things get nasty, you don't have to pull out three different items. You will need spend another $100 or so to get map software for it. I would skip the 100K maps and go for the 24K mapsets.

I have the Oregon 450 and use the 24k maps. It's a pretty small device, gets reliable battery usage, and is very accurate. Not something to bank 100% on, but something that can make travel much easier especially at night and during low visibility. It also allows me to track my speed, distance, and elevation gain which I can then plug into future trips to gauge how long it might take to complete a particular route by comparing it to previous trips in similar conditions.

Hope that helps,

Dave

I got the Garmin 62s when it was on sale for $350 at REI this spring: http://www.rei.com/product/828798/garmin-gpsmap-62s-gps-bundle . The bundle was a good value at that price with the maps included. The 24k maps are the way to go. I didn't need a camera (the 'c' model has one) and I didn't like the idea of a touchscreen in the backcountry so I ended up with this model. Since I don't have a fancy watch, the altimeter is very useful especially on volcanoes. It's fun to download your tracks onto Google Earth when you get back and see your route as well as be able to share it with others. Battery life is great and downright amazing with lithium batteries.

been using my iPhone with Gaia GPS Offline Topo Maps for the past few years. I have my phone with me on all trips anyway and it actually has a great GPS receiver, so figure why carry another. map, compass, watch altimeter are backup.

Battery life if the only issue (if the radio is left on). But if you keep it in airplane mode until you need to make a waypoint or find position, the battery will last for days.

i'd imagine all modern smartphones are pretty much the same.