First-come first-serve permit etiquette?

PuckerJunkie

I am planning a trip to Boston Basin and I am wondering if anyone knows what the etiquette is (if there is any...) regarding how you stake your place in line for a first-come first-serve permit.

I would think you should be sitting in front of the door, but I am concerned that someone sleeping in a car may think that they were "in-line" first. The thing is that there are other things to do in the Cascades so if there are 5 people sleeping on the porch, we'll head elsewhere. But how do you know what someone in a car is there for...

I have never had to deal with this issue and we are coming from Portland so knowing the rules ahead of time would be ideal!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am planning a trip to Boston Basin and I am wondering if anyone knows what the etiquette is (if there is any...) regarding how you stake your place in line for a first-come first-serve permit.

I would think you should be sitting in front of the door, but I am concerned that someone sleeping in a car may think that they were "in-line" first. The thing is that there are other things to do in the Cascades so if there are 5 people sleeping on the porch, we'll head elsewhere. But how do you know what someone in a car is there for...

I have never had to deal with this issue and we are coming from Portland so knowing the rules ahead of time would be ideal!

No Rules, just get in a single file line and watch out for the birds pooping all over the entrance. Standard grocery store line etiquette probably applies in that if someone attempts to cut in line, you can either passivly ignore them or choose to create some loud confrontation.

I've picked up permits for Boston Basin on a Saturday afternoon for Sat-Sun-Mon so I wouldn't drive past just because there are folks in line. Like you said, there's lots to do so they may not be going in to Boston Basin just because they are in line for a permit. That being said, it's wise to have some alternative objectives.

If you are "in your car", you are clearly not "in line", unless you are at a drive thru. If I waited in line for an hour thinking I was first, and someone wakes up and crawls out of their van, they are in line behind me somewhere. If I pull up and walk to the door and they come out immediately and claim their space I'd probably give it to them. If you want to sleep in line, put your pad and bag by the door, not in your car. Try the camp 4 line in Yosemite some time. ;-)