Nikwax

yellowlab03

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use this Nikwax product on both leather/synthetic boots and it seem to last a good long while, better than anything else I've tried, anyway:

link

I also clean any abrasions on my Charmoz's fabric with alcohol and tamp it down with super glue. Really extends the life of those light and fast boots...but they do eventually look like Hell in the process.

I've been using Biwell on my leather boots since I was a teen (hate to admit...over 30 years) and I love it. I'm sure the Nikwax works just fine. I think Marmot still carries it if you want to try it. Tvash brings up a good point, I always wash and dry my leather before aplying. By the way, it will discolor the leather a bit.

I've had problems with Snoseal solidifying and cracking at low temps. Then when the temps warm up, water gets through.

That was years ago. Don't know if the formula's changed or not.

Apply your Nikwax, then hit the boot with a blow dryer (without delaminating anything). It should last a long while.

Delamination, of the protective outer rubber for example, is a common cause of leaking. You can repair any delaminating of the protective rubber with Shoe Goo by wrapping electricians tape round and round the entire boot in the delamed section as a clamp. Clean first with alcohol and a Q tip.