Info Regarding Mark C.'s Memorial Service

Poser

Mark's Wife asked that I send this out to local climbing community...

Tuesday 6/19 2pm; Memorial Service followed by a brief reception. Lewis & Clark College (0615 SW Palatine Hill Rd., Portland, OR 97219), in the Agnes Flanagan Chapel. Please carpool if possible. Gathering to follow at the Cartier home.

Out of respect for Mark’s style, we request that you shun ties and wear your favorite products from Nike, Mountain Hardware, Columbia, BD or Patagonia. Bonus points for anyone wearing Shox or Nike Futbol or Sorel or climbing boots/shoes.

Your outpouring of love and support has been humbling. In lieu of flowers, we request that any donations be made in Mark’s name to Portland Mountain Rescue http://www.pmru.org/contact/donation.html, the organization which helped Mark, and The Smith Rock Group at the Bank of the Cascades, https://www.botc.com/ where donations can be made directly to the account. The Smith Rock Group is devoted to protecting and supporting Mark’s beloved Smith Rock.

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/plab/data/500/Mark.jpg[/img]

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This pic came across my FB wall because I'm friends with one of the guys who made the climb with Mark's family to spread his ashes. I don't know if the photos are public or if I can see them because of my friend was tagged, but so worth a look. The shots from the entire album are great.

This pic came across my FB wall because I'm friends with one of the guys who made the climb with Mark's family to spread his ashes. I don't know if the photos are public or if I can see them because of my friend was tagged, but so worth a look. The shots from the entire album are great.

Not popping up for me Melisa. I called Ujahn yesterday just to touch base and he was on the way back to town after summiting. Said on the way to the top he and Jesse passed Marks daughter kicked back at the lunchcounter area waiting for the rest of the group to come down after they had spread Marks ashes on top. Being unconnected, he hadn't heard of the accident the first time. They didn't know who she was but had stopped to make sure she was OK, and she told them the story. There was an accident later after they were probably in the car....I was hoping it wasn't any of that group when I read that story. It fortunately wasn't and the guy will recover. Been a rough couple weeks in the cascades.....

Sorry it didn't work, Bill. I tried to see if I could message the guy about making them public, but we're not FB friends so can't.

Best I can tell since I saw the pic of my friend on the summit with Mark's son releasing his ashes and then later a news interview with the same friend who is with PMR about yesterday's fall is that some of the crew with Mark's family helped that climber.

Was at the memorial and glad to see his kids surrounded by a large and loving family. That they were up on Hood with his ashes tells you they're made of the same stout stuff he was. He will be sorely missed.

Between Mark, Vern Stiefel and Jim Anglin we've lost some of the PNW's finest rock climbers of late.