Kindle Use in Cold Weather?

veryfreshfruit

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have a way to recharge it, e.g. a solar USB charger? Lithium Ion cells to suffer lifetime degredation in very cold temperatures, but if you have unlimited recharging ability this may not be much of a problem. Your other concern will be the screen. If it's the Kindle Fire, those capacitive touch LCDs work pretty well in the cold in my experience. If it's one of the eInk screens, I'm not familiar with their performance in low temperatures but you can probably find tech specs for it online. I'd imagine you would be able to work around most any temperature issues by warming it against your body anyway.

I'm headed to Denali next week as well and was wondering the same thing. I used my Kindle (2nd gen) on the lower Kahiltna last year with no issues. But I did have my first one freeze up in the Whites in New Hampshire around 10 degrees F and the screen died. Amazon doesn't recommend its use in cold weather as the display can't take it. So I wasn't planning on brining mine up Denali. I'd rather deal with the weight of a few books than not have anything to read since my kindle display died. I have heard the Fire works well in the cold though.