Baker Mobiles.....

NoToes

Just wanted to see how many other climbers or skiers have run into people on snow machines on the summit of Mt. Baker......lately (over the past three months) I've run into people running their machines up and down the summit headwall.

Is REI selling snow machines now? Looks like great excercise......just not too sure about any restrictions the Forest Service might have against this sport?

I would love to see a member of the Mountaineers confront one of these snow machine maniacs.

After talking with one of these sledders I discovered that it's possible to make it to the summit from the base more than 15 times in one day.....that has to be a record.

Happy sledding my machine head mountain friend.CHEERS!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

No Toes, my understanding is that these people are only allowed on the Easton and up to the crater, at 9000+, The rest of the mountain is wilderness, thus off limits to sleds. These gear heads always wonder why their rights are taken away. Duh! Go outside the national Rec area and into wilderness, aka off limits, people complain, and no more snowmobiles. If it matters I know of three seperate incidents where they lost the sleds in crevasses. Tell the snowmobiler club that it is off limits, and if they dont listen tell the ranger.

TTT [hell no]

How are you getting in to Mt Baker this time of year, are you sledding into the base then climbing? I was up that road before the last snow storm hit and it was pretty melted out but I would figure it's totally snowed in now. Are you gaining access to the mountain without a bunch of road walking?

Here here, sledders, for the most part, completely disrespect the laws on that mountain. Who is the best person to voice complaints to, the rangers?