Mt. Rainer DC route or Ingrahm direct?

Dan Coates

Traveling to Washington from Eastern Canada to attempt Mt.Rainer in late May. We are planning on doing the Ingrahm direct if conditions are suitable. If not we will look into the DC route. Any information on these two routes would be greatly appreciated.

Are snow shoes usually required for the approach during May?

Thanks,

Dan

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually in May the ID is still a good plan. Last year late May/early June was when ID route was out and the DC was coming in. Check out http://mountrainierclimbing.blogspot.com/ for info and reports from the previous seasons. If you plan on staying at Muir or Ingraham flats there will be plenty of people to get beta from on the condition of the route. You won't need slowshoes for the approach in May. Also you can find some good information on these forums, there are plenty of great climbers here to get advice from. If you have anymore questions on the route just send me a PM.

Cheers!

Hey Dan, I've done the ID as late as end of June before. If it's in shape I think it is a more enjoyable alternative to the DC. Considering that the Cascades are somewhere around 150% of average annual snowfall there is a decent chance you might find the ID is an option by the time you get here. Talk to the rangers, talk to the climbers at Muir who have just descended from the upper mountain, you'll be able to gather enough firsthand information to make a decision. There will probably be some trip or conditions reports posted here and on the Mt. Rainier climbing blog as your date approaches.

Good call on leaving the snowshoes behind.

Bear in mind that Rainier weather in May can be quite variable. I've had glorious t-shirt days and windy whiteout days on the mountain in May. Come prepared for both and load your pack in the parking lot based on the most recent forecast.

Have a great stay in Washington.

Talk to the rangers, talk to the climbers at Muir who have just descended from the upper mountain, you'll be able to gather enough firsthand information to make a decision.

RNP Rangers are a great resource.

Plan C: Gibraltar Ledges

d