• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Son of Caveman:

quote:

Originally posted by allison:

I've believed for a long time that the problem with our diets is not so much the meat and fat is it is the processed foods.

Eat cleaner, eat heathier.

No shit? Did you think that up all by yourself? Wow.

Yep, seems pretty obvious. Wonder why more people, especially we Americans, don't try cutting out processed foods....?

Perhaps because processed foods are the cheapest, and typicaly the easiest to cook, or obtain when short on time (fast food). Also they are typicaly the most readily available in all localities, when specialty foods like fresh fruit and vegetables and meat are not allways available. Visit a urban slum sometime and look for a Safeway...what you will find are 7/11's and fast Food joints. When you can obtain a meal for .99$ in your own neighborhood, why go out of your way to go shopping for food that you can't afford. Ever wonder why obesity and its related health problems are most common among people who fall below the "poverty line?"

And that is not even to mention the billions of dollars spent on marketing these proccesed foods to children...

Sorry for the rant, this just happens to be what I am studying in one of my Geography courses right now.

[ 11-27-2002, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Lambone ]

OK, that's a good point when it comes to the poor, but what about middle-class people? Why do they eat processed garbage, contributing to poor health and overweightness?

I've had some pretty interesting conversations with vegans over meat eating vs. processed foods, of which many vegans eat a lot of.