Climbing Boots

Cameron Coppock

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ditto. I love La Sportivas, but the Scarpas fit my wideish feet better. I have the Scarpa Summits, the precuror to the Mont Blanc. Great all around mounaineering, alpine, and ice climbing boot, but not quite as burly as the La Sportiva Nepal Evo. Maybe the Mont Blanc is a little more boot than the Summit?

I've heard that scarpas tend to be higher volume?

I've been using Nepal Evos for 4 years now and I love them. I've got a large forefoot, high instep and narrow heel (makes fitting boots a frustrating challenge). They seem to fit my foot great, but the Mont Blancs didn't. This surprised me as I had heard the same about the scarpa fit (wider+more volume).

Moral of the story, try 'em both on and go with the best fit. They're both great boots for mountaineering and ice climbing.

Good luck!

I have a very narrow heel, and LaSportivas work well for me. When you ask about Sportive evo gtx, which model do you mean; the Trango Extreme EVO or Trango S. The Trango S and Trango ALP are both 3/4 shank, so they won't be rigid. Trango Extreme I believe have full shanks.

• 1 month later...
I've heard that scarpas tend to be higher volume?

I have very wide Donald Duck feet and narrow ankles. The only boots I found that fit are Scarpa Mont Blancs with Superfeet insoles. With any other brand of boot, my feet scream in protest within thirty seconds of donning 'em.

I really have to crank the shit of the laces around the instep to prevent any heel-popping. (Thanks to the clerk at the store who gave me the 100 level course in mountaineering boot lacing!)

You also got to love the hot orange/mango color. I have been plodding around in mine at work to break them in and the fatass cubicle commandos I work with stare at my kicks in amazement. Are those snowboots? I tell them yes and lumber away. Keep watching Jersey Shore, bitches. But I digress...

To reaffirm what the above posters have said, in general, Scarpa tends to be wider, La Sportiva tends to be more narrow. I've had a mixed bag with Asolo: I've tried and worn several boots that ranged from too damn narrow to too damn wide (not mountaineering boots--just three season models).

YMMV.

As others have posted, Scarpa tends to fit wider, Sportiva narrower. But even within their lines there are differences...

The Mont Blanc is a general mountaineering boot with a leather upper. I have a pair and love them - tough, warm and dextrous enough for ice climbing.

The Jorasses Pro is designed as an ice climbing boot. It fits narrower than the MB, has a synthetic upper making it more supple and flexible, and is about equal in warmth.

If you want a winter and ice climbing boot, the Jorasses will suit you better provided it fits. The MB is better for year-round use, though it is a bit too warm for low-elevation climbing in summer.