La Sportiva Glacier boots?

shad

Hey guys,

I am new to mountaineering so please excuse the dumb question. I was able to pick up a pair of used La Sportiva Glacier boots for $24 last weekend.

These are them: boots

It looks like they have a half steel shank instead of full steel shank but are otherwise similar to the Makalu. Do you guys think these should be sufficient for easy spring mountaineering in the Cascades? Mountains I might want to do include Mt St Helens, Mount Adams, South Sister, Mt Hood South Side, maybe even Rainier later this summer.

Thanks in advance for your help. My only other snow climb I wore plastic boots I had never worn before, and this is what I wound up with:

228034_10100208173485531_7031699_49960813_5350132_n.jpg

Edited by shad

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2nd. Appropriate boots for mentioned volcanoes in mentioned seasons. Make sure to waterproof them good for longer/slushy conditions. beeswax or one of the sprays.

I realize this was from the plastic boots you used prior, but I've generally found (never have had a blister from any boots myself) that putting mole-skin when one feels a hotspot is like getting your coffee cup out to bail out a boat once it has slammed into a rock. does about squat at that point. I have seen demonstrated throwing on some moleskin well ahead of time then outright covering it with athletic tape. Just an angle as heel slippage can be a common problem in a lot of boots when going uphill.

cheers

I had the precursor glacier boot to the one currently available. I used it on many volcanoes including rainier in summertime. It worked out just fine. It breaks in very much though and I needed to use a full strap crampon model. Don't know if the newer models will stay stiffer longer than my older model but I suspect that it will still get floppy which is fine except when you gotta kick in some steps on steep ground.

$24 is a steal.

Mine are the Tan version, but probably also 8 or 9 years old, and they've been great. I havent' put in the mileage that Gene has so they aren't tooo floppy. I've had good luck with the Grivel New-matic attachment (lever in the back, plastic basket in the front.) I didn't take them up Rainier but I expect they would have been fine. Everything else you mentioned they were ideal for (Baker a few times, shuksan, Sahale, etc.)

Took them out of the box and backpacked the Enchantments with no blisters. Great boot :tup: