ropes on table mountain

spionin

climbed death picnic today (friday). the route is in excellent shape, and we had an awesome day.

we rappelled the route in a single 70 m stretch (with about 1/2 m to spare), but the ropes got badly stuck.

after trying to free them for a very long time, after it got pitch black and in worsening weather we had to leave the ropes. [yes, i've already made mental jokes about russians having a knack for leaving "fixed ropes" on routes, thanks.]

this sucks, and i need to get the ropes down.

i hate to ask anyone to carry my shit, but if you are planning to climb the route please let me know if you'd be willing to take down the ropes. feel free to use them for descent, provided you can figure out how to free them. there's a piece of webbing around a tree, through which the ropes are threaded. while two people rapped off the tree, i wouldn't necessarily suggest jumaring up with the tree as the only anchor. i'd love to get them back, and i'll do my best to pay you back.

or if anyone is going to heather meadows area in the next few days, please let me know if i can carpool with you/ski out with you (avy potential is supposed to increase, i believe).

thanks! sorry about the ropes, i'll get them down in the next few days. -veronika

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah... i know. i wasn't been able to get out there this weekend.

i'm sort of vacillating - it's not a long ski in, but there's that funnel to get to the col that would be a great terrain trap, and with high avy conditions i'm just not sure it's worth it. my hope is that my super-dry dragonfly ropes aren't affected too much by the snowcover. at least there isn't going to be much temp variation.

If it makes you feel any better, your ropes are still up there - saw them from afar skinning back up to Herman Saddle today.

They were hanging mostly in the rock to the left of the route so not too frozen into snow or ice from what I could tell.

It does look one is blown part of the way up the wall while the other is hanging down near the start of the route.

Cheers on that route - looks super, super cool. And steep.

• 3 weeks later...