GPS Software

jon

The Iranians "hijacking" the most sophisticated drone in our arsenal inspired me, and I said to myself "If they can live in the space age, so can I". So I bought my first GPS, a Garmin Oregon 450.

So I don't know anything about GPS software. I've read on here that there are some free options versus shelling out $100 for the TOPO maps from Garmin. I guess National Geographic has maps too.

So, what are people using?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i've had my gps for a few years and managed to wrangle info into it that helped me in the field, but, I'm no expert.

I'm going to assume it came with some basic software (mapsource or something).

www.redtrails.com has an extensive amount of trails. I think you can also download something on their site that allows you to get an entire trail map (ie all their trails) and load that as a map in mapsource. Whether that can then be sent to your GPS in totality or you just select certain trails you want, I'm unsure. you do have to make an account there, I'm pretty sure, but, they are a benign organization.

additionally raised_by_pikas had a comprehensive and helpful procedure I used when getting some maps for some trip I took.

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1018789/24k_topos_and_routes_on_Garmin

my gps can probably do 50 more things than I know it can. helpful that is has full sunset/sunrise/dawn/dusk and moon phase built into it--thats helpful

Edited by Water