VBL inside sleeping bag and light weight bivi

Wallstein

Dane on the UltraLite Alpini Shelter 200: “8 1/2 oz on my scale for the two man version.” Question: how exactly is the Tupek worth the extra weight? Also, can you tie into a climbing rope with the Tupek?

The Tupek: WEIGHT: 795 gr / 28 oz “The Tupek is a new concept of shelter. It was develop to give an immediate protection for 2 persons in case they need it. It is intended to allow 2 users to sit or lie down with comfort. The structure is made by your weight and rucksack, or by your walking poles, if you have them. Use it for a brief stop, a few hours or, if needed, sleep inside. Always have it with you!"

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wanted to ask that myself Messner?

crackers said:

"If you're into the "little tent thing we can hide in", the Ortik offering is much nicer than Brooks range."

The Ortik looks by the pictures and the weight to be a tube tent of sorts but I could be wrong. If not the weight alone makes it a POS, as my Firstlight is only a tiny bit heavier and a lot more room. The Brooks-Range 2 man is 20oz +/- lighter, pretty slick and well made IMO. Enough so I bought mine a a couple of seasons ago at retail.

As I said previous, bothy bags (and their manufactures) are as common as trash in Europe. Nothing spectacular about them other than they are really light weight and offer resonable protection and warmth when required.

The Brooks-Range web site is misleading in that it shows a weight of 1.8 pounds for the Alpini 2-man, but under “Specs” it says:

• Weight 8.11 ounces (230 g)

• Packed Size 4" x 4" (10.16 x 10.16 cm)

• Dimensions (LxWxH): 60" x 26" x 45" (152.40 x 66 x 114.30 cm)

• Color: Red, Yellow (color varies)

See pictures of the Alpini in actual use by actual humans on Dane’s blog site, http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/

The Ortik looks by the pictures and the weight to be a tube tent of sorts but I could be wrong. If not the weight alone makes it a POS, as my Firstlight is only a tiny bit heavier and a lot more room. The Brooks-Range 2 man is 20oz +/- lighter, pretty slick and well made IMO. Enough so I bought mine a a couple of seasons ago at retail.

As I said previous, bothy bags (and their manufactures) are as common as trash in Europe. Nothing spectacular about them other than they are really light weight and offer reasonable protection and warmth when required.

You're wrong Dane. It's AFBB (another fcking bothy bag). I have not seen production versions of the Brooks Range product or the Ortik product. I just saw (and used) pre production ones. From that experience, I was much happier with the Ortik one in terms of durability, comfort, organization, and feel. But it did weigh too much...they said that it was going to get a lot lighter, but if the Tupek is that heavy once you've gotten rid of the crap that comes with it, well, nice try...I'll be in the Firstlight too! ;)

Then again, and I know this is NOT what OP Mikey was asking about but anyway here goes thread drift, I am really kind of turning away from things that I know I will destroy in one or two uses. I'll still make stuff like that for other people, but for me it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Yup. Colin and "his kind" are bad people. FF woudn't want to be associated with them on any long term basis.

That's either a joke or you don't know what you're talking about. Hard to catch subtle humor on the interwebs.

Don't worry...totally a joke ;)

And last I heard the Spoonbill was as close to production as it'll get. Give em a call to verify.

Now that y'all have had a chance to hug it out over the bothy bags I just wanted to chime in and provide some more info about the Spoonbill.

As of last May/June we now officially have a production model of the Spoonbill. We most likely will not have the bag in stock during our busy seasons (Nov - Jan and Mar - Aug) but one of our staff members usually leaves his personal one at the shop for folks to check out. The Spoonbill is currently only available in one length which will comfortably accommodate users up to 6'3" and will be produced on a made-to-order basis; the turnaround will be 5-6 weeks minimum as it is by far the most complicated/difficult bag we have ever made. In the Schoeller NanoSphere shell fabric the weight is 2lb 10.5oz and retail is $700.

We currently have 5 or 6 Spoonbills in the wild, including one with Colin, one with the Smileys and 2 or 3 with various other customers. Photos of the finished product are available here http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150190754518756.325312.135426968755&type=1&l=a88f3d4354.