RBCC will be hosting a meet and greet party

RBCC

ODOT has given Rocky Butte Climbing Coalition(RBCC)the green light and are offering continued support to continue with more projects beyond litter clean ups. We will be looking at doing graffiti removal, invasive control, and existing trail maintenance. Thanks to the success of the 3 part clean up series Rocky Butte is on its way to becoming an awesome recreation area.

Thank you to everyone involved.

***Also RBCC will be hosting a Meet and Greet on ***October 1st*** (Changed due conflict at Circuit on Sept), in Portland (see www.rockybutteclimbing.com for details.***

Edited by RBCC

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone should give some thought on how to discretely relocate the memorial that has been erected on the edge of the cliff to the north of Video Bluff (just past where the 4th class trail descends) since the accident last week.

There is another memorial by the side of the road where the trash bags were stashed during the cleanups and that one is fine. The problem with the one on the edge of the cliff, however, is that, well, it's located on the edge of the cliff. Its location encourages those wishing to honor the young man to venture right out to the same point where I assume the accident occured. People have left balloons, a basketball, etc., and it's a sure bet everyone that ventures out there to leave something is not leashed in. It needs to be relocated so that those that don't understand how to safely approach the cliff's edge, won't be encouraged to do so.

A couple days ago I was approached at the top of Video Bluff and lectured to be careful by a woman who said she was campaigning city hall to fence off the area to keep everyone out. I was polite, but the irony was enormous as I was harnessed and tethered to a tree on the street side of the trail, and she was standing there with a baby in a baby carriage, a few feet from the edge. I doubt she would have been in that location had she not wanted to venture out to see the other memorial.

Edited by pcg

Someone should give some thought on how to discretely relocate the memorial that has been erected on the edge of the cliff to the north of Video Bluff (just past where the 4th class trail descends) since the accident last week.

There is another memorial by the side of the road where the trash bags were stashed during the cleanups and that one is fine. The problem with the one on the edge of the cliff, however, is that, well, it's located on the edge of the cliff. Its location encourages those wishing to honor the young man to venture right out to the same point where I assume the accident occured. People have left balloons, a basketball, etc., and it's a sure bet everyone that ventures out there to leave something is not leashed in. It needs to be relocated so that those that don't understand how to safely approach the cliff's edge, won't be encouraged to do so.

A couple days ago I was approached at the top of Video Bluff and lectured to be careful by a woman who said she was campaigning city hall to fence off the area to keep everyone out. I was polite, but the irony was enormous as I was harnessed and tethered to a tree on the street side of the trail, and she was standing there with a baby in a baby carriage, a few feet from the edge. I doubt she would have been in that location had she not wanted to venture out to see the other memorial.

Someone mentioned to me that climbers needed to start lobbying ODOT and city hall as a preventative measure. I see why now. Hopefully you lectured and educated her? Didn't know about any memorials...maybe the first one up there needs to move the one back from the edge, like take a picture and then move it stat.

Rocky Butte Crew, thanks for stepping up. Sorry I was so self centered and worthless on the clean up. I showed up once and got sidetracked to the climbing after an hour and a half of picking up garbage.

Yes, moving the memorial might be a good idea, we have ODOT, Access Fund and Local Community members helping us with many of these issues at Rocky Butte. If you can attend the meet and greet, that would be great! We want to hear about how Rocky Butte can be changed to promote more responsible behavior, if not send me an email at "info@rockybutteclimbing.com"

Thanks for your input.

Rocky Butte Climbing Coalition is an advocacy group dedicated to maintaining and improving access as well as promoting responsible use of Rocky Butte Natural Area.

Edited by RBCC

Thanks for the date change notification Cory.

Side note to all: please do not leave any rap ropes that you drug through poison oak on the wall expecting to come back later with a plastic bag and rubber gloves so you don't wind up hospitalized again. Your rope will be taken down before you get back the next day, yes, stolen by some fuckhead. A climber no less.

Edited by billcoe

Side note to all: please do not leave any rap ropes that you drug through poison oak on the wall expecting to come back later with a plastic bag and rubber gloves so you don't wind up hospitalized again. Your rope will be taken down before you get back the next day, yes, stolen by some fuckhead. A climber no less.

Sorry, missed the part where you become a flat out liar for the cause, Bill - good to know where your integrity begins and ends. Anyone else?