Goat Pass

RichDraves

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 patchs below Goat Pass, and the descent from Goat pass to the Toe is mostly snow. You could link the boulder patches but the snow was easier traveling. Probably depends mostly on what time of day you'd be hitting it. We used Ice axes but no crampons and were ok but not ideal. If your crossing in the afternoon should be no problem though.

Good luck!

Echoing what others said, if you do it in the afternoon you can probably get away without crampons (and an axe if you're daring) but in the morning I wouldn't even think about it.

Dont you need the crampons for the descent?

Down the Cascadian? No.

Is the glacier gone on that side?

I have climbed Stuart three times and always wanted crampons once you descend over the east summit. There is a glacier there. A small one. Is is gone?

Jesus kevbone.

There's a "permanent snowfield" there and no, it's not GONE, but in the warm August afternoon it's soft and you can walk down it, or you can downclimb choss on skier's right side.

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful! I was assuming that any snow in the Cascadian would be soft & easy plunge-stepping by the time we get there.

Putting aside the weight issue of crampons & axe and hassle of a car shuttle, how much faster would it be to approach via Mountaineer Creek instead of Ingalls Pass / Stuart Pass / Goat Pass?

Mtnrs. creek approach was 1 1/2 hours longer for me than the Teanaway/Ingalls approach. From Teanaway last Sunday, I made the notch in 3 hrs, 45 minutes. From Stuart Lake trail two years ago, I made the notch in 5 hours. Teanaway is quicker, but crossing the two passes to get to the north side is more of a pain.

Kyle's right about the deproach over to Sherpa/Argonaut col. A long haul after a long climb, but well worth it!