Dachstein wool gear?

Dane

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sewed up several pairs of Dachstein mitts over the years. Gave my last well worn pair away. But used at least a half dozen pair until they were thread bare.

The sweaters on the other hand? I had ownd a lwt version because it was a good deal less expensive bitd. Been skiing a bit in an original and am finding out just how good they really were.

More here:

http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/2011/05/dachstein-wool.html

tumblr_l99588EXKD1qalohxo1_500.jpg

I still have the sweater and a faily good pair of the heavier weight mitts as you've pictured above. It's very warm and quite windproof. It's major drawback is it's heavier than hell and quite bulky to stuff in the pack. I wouldn't part with it for anything, just as I wouldn't my laminated bamboo shaft 60 cm.Chouinard Piolet. Ah yes, Dachsteins and Kendal Mint Cake, two alpine staples!

I outgrew my sweater a long time ago, but still have the mitts...super durable,they will outlast me. Can you still get Kendal Mint cakes anywhere? I liked them...just don't give me any Pilot Bread outlets, my teeth still haven't recovered. Thanks for the trip down amnesia lane Dan.

What about Dachstein wool socks? I still have some from the mid 80's and they're still going strong. Never wore a pair out. One or two pair got too small, even with careful handwashing in cold water, air drying, etc. I've been enjoying the sharing of memories of Dachstein's incredibly durable products. Hope to get another sweater soon.