Heart Rate Monitor

divnamite

I finally decided to buy a HRM. Got on amazon and found 4XXX results. Any recommendations? I'm looking for minimal features but accurate. I don't care thing like for GPS, water resistance up to 100M, MP3, blah blah. I just need it tell me my heart rate accurately and the band is not too unconformable.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking at this a couple of weeks ago unitl someone gave me one they weren't using. My previous one had given up the ghost.

Nashbar has one by Schwinn for $30. I also saw that there was a Timex entry level model that was listed on several reviews I found.

Costco has a New Balance (N4 I think) model in the Seattle store that has gotten great reviews and it is around $50 which is $20 less than anywhere I could find. They only had a womens model (small face and pearl white) so it might not work but worth a look. They have some other models online that might be worth a look.

Phillips has a great monitor! monitor

It is light and easy to carry around. Might not be fully waterproof, but it is under $20k!! You can spend upwards of 35k so this is a steal!

haha.... I have a really old Polar watch that I like. It had just the basic features, but I was able to cycle through them and it would show the different zones and my target zones. No need to spend $$$$ but just like everything you should spend some money on it just so you don't waste your time. Mine, back in the day, was probably like $90. It is also worth getting a few books on HR training just so you truly understand what it all means and how to translate your results to what the books are talking about.

Polar makes a great product. The band is comfy and the watch can be as simple or complex as you want. The basic Polar monitors are around $70. Expect to spend a little more if you want to use it for biking or something other than just checking for heart rate at the moment.

I've had the most luck with the garmin monitors. I had a suunto that was $120 but was very inconsistent in actually picking up my heart rate. I had a polar that worked but I had to be really religious about wetting the contact points before starting. The garmin is great - I put it on and it picks up my heart rate (no wetting needed) and maintains it throughout my workouts. You can get a basic garmin for $100 - http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Fitness-Watch-Heart-Monitor/dp/B001S2RCXC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1304537354&sr=8-2

I got a Sport's Instruments one years ago. It was an outdated model and the bike shop owner sold it to me for like $20. Basic and accurate.even had a rubber deal to put the wrist watch thing on handlebars. After awhile I got to associate other clues to what my heart was thumping. IMO that's the best info to learn from those. Shop around. I'd reckon some shop is trying to dump out of style stuff.

There are non-chest strap models but they supposedly are not as accurate or responsive.

Chest Strap isn't too bad but I mainly bike. My GF has to use Body Glide on hers when she runs to avoid skin removal.

Polar has a great reputation but you have to send them to the factory to change the battery. Garmin has good rep too but tend to be on the spendy side.

I've owned two Sports Instrument HR monitors and thought they are/were great. Got them both on closeout, one at a bike retailer and one from REI. Unfortunately they went out of business or got bought out.

Buy something inexpensive through rei-outlet.com, Sierra Trading Post or some such outlet and see if you like using them.

Then you can decide if you want to spend more for something with more features.

So far, all of the watches I've looked at require chest belt. Any particular brand is better than the other? How comfortable are the belts?

I've used Polar gear a lot on the bike, swimming, running, hiking and most important, climbing. For me the fabric chest strap becomes a pia after 20 hrs or so straight. Other than that I don't really notice it as long as you keep them clean. Polar's are very accurate. Durability is an issue all around (most models/instruments) if you use them hard/everyday. But the warrenty is good.

I got into the Polar stuff for the 2nd time after trying a Mio..which didn't do what I needed but I didn't want a chest strap. The new fabric straps made all the difference with the Polar watches.

I was a Polar Nat. Team member for 3 years and a user long before that and long after. If you have specific questions feel free to send me an PM.

I just purchased my first HRM about a month ago. After some research, I decided on the Garmon with the chest strap and foot pod. It has been very accurate with both the running mileage and fairly accurate with the heart rate except sometimes it is WAY off. I think that is mainly due to the sensors not being wet though. If I wet them before I run or once I am sweaty enough, it seems to be very accurate. However, the cheap plastic bracket for the foot pod has already broken on me (saw that one coming). Now I need to keep it taped on so I don't lose it. Good thing I bought it at REI...