Any news on the updated Nomic?

pyyno

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what the update on the nomic is, but I am curious as well. This is what I do know about the latest batch of picks.

So if anyone has the fist batch of the new quarks or nomics that got releases in the fall of 2010 they may have experienced some difficulty changing out picks due to the tolerances with the interface between the Adze / Hammers and the pick itself. My friend was able to purchase a single Quark in December 2010 and got the second tool in March 2011 (second batch of picks from petzl) Petzl as far as I can tell had some issues making enough picks and the second batch they trimmed down the interface on the picks which make chaining hammers or adze a simple breeze. We found this out because changing picks was super difficult on the tool he purchased in December and it was not an issue on the tool he received in March. We tried the newer pick in all of the tools and it works like it should, meaning I can change out my pick without a sledge hammer.....

Thats all I got.

Edited by DanielHarro

More info for what it is worth.

I got a new pair of Quarks directly from Petzl just as I was leaving for Cham in late Feb. First batch available for some time I was told. The spacer/pick was just as difficult to add or replace in those tools as Daniel's original Nomics.

The picks on my new Ergos delivered in Nov '10 are the same picks (diamension wise) as are in my Quarks from Feb.

Feb Ergo picks are marked N26 and 4328 DRY with a .130 to .135 interface.

Mar Quark picks are marked N26 and 4231 ICE with a .100 to a .125 interface

The spacers (washers) in both tools are different in size but all measure 3.04mm

While the hammer and adze inner face measures 3.01 to 3.03.

Picks measure 4.04mm full thickness.

Only one bolt in the new heads will tighten the head. That is the top one. The lower bolt is for satbility but doesn't do much to collapse the head and squeeze the pick.

As you can see some of the combos go well over the 4.04 full thickness of the picks.

I have heard a lot of rumors and know there are some new prototypes floating around that have significgant changes but Petzl is holding it pretty tight as to what we will see in the Fall. I do agree though the new pommel blade was a good improvement in many ways. Added stability of the tool while climbing steep ice is one.

Over retail...you kidding me? Why would anyone now with the new Quark and Ergo available?

The new Nomic will be avilable in th fall of '11 again.

But then I just got in a pair of the old style Cascade picks from Mtn Gear at $5. over retail and 2 pair of new ICE picks from BC.com at retail...that were obviously take off picks that some where in the sales chain has repackaged and resold.

Both stores have more of each style in stock.

It is a strange world :-)

who would have thought that the aliens would have sold for obscene amounts when they were discontinued? Everything is a commodity and if there is no supply and any demand before november, then prices above retail could happen.

But why would there be demand before next november? Maybe a trader from wall street would jump in and drive prices up.

• 2 weeks later...

Quotelink:

Dane said: Petzl M10? Actually I was told the M10 is no longer being made by an industry guy that should be reliable. NA is suppose to be getting the last of them now.

HarHar :D Good thing that bought them this winter aswell :D

I'm such a sucker for the latest thing that I propably have to upgrade the M10:s I mean :D

-H

Edited by pyyno