Glacier Glasses

kmehrtens

I am planning to climb Mt. Rainier this coming July and am looking for some opinions on glacier glasses & sunglasses. I will need to have them made into Rx glasses and do NOT want goggles.

What is everyones opinion of good coverage sunglasses?

I have looked at and like the Julbo Explorers and Nomads. I looked at Julbo's Dolgin and Bivouak and they seem too wide and are too open along the sides for my face.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a pair of Rudy Project Ekynox SX. Available at a few different eye Dr's around town. While not specifically glacier glasses and they don't seal around the cheeks completely, I love them and have used them on a few glaciers with good success. It's a prescription insert, not an Rx-ed tinted lens. On the upside you can get all manner of interchangeable lenses for them including some nice polarized photochromatic ones.

I think they also make some models with snap in foam shields that make it sort of goggle like.

YMMV

correct me if I am wrong, but black diamond used to sell frames that you could take to have prescription lenses put in. I think that is the ones I have but i got them 13 years ago.

I am not sure if it is really necessary to have such a tight fit that the regular glacier glasses offer with the leather side shields. A decent wrap around frame does a pretty good job of keeping the rays out but still allow enough venting to prevent fogging.

It's funny that you mention Rudy Project sunglasses. I currently own a pair of Rudy Project Graal Foyl sunglasses that I have had the Eye Dr. make actual Rx polarized lenses for and love them. I originally bought them for fishing since they sat close to my face and would cut the glare down. I have thought about just getting a new pair of lenses made with a darker tint and still polarized for Rainier, but not quite sure.