BD Spinner Leash Gate Opening

Skatan

I've had my spinner leashes for two seasons have never fallen on them or even weighted them fully. I have on three ocasions twice in one day have the wire gate get popped out then has to be put back in. Mostly a incoveinence but could result in a lost tool. This happened evertime when swinging with slack in the leash not tight at all. Has any one else had this happen. Probably will change out stock clips with the smallest wire gates I can find. BD tools cobras too not others

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you clipping the biners directly to the spikes, or do you have the spikes threaded with cord to clip in to? I had the same problem on my Aztars (spinner leash biners unclipping while attached to the spike holes). Then Dane modded them to go leashless, and added cord to the now-covered-over spikes to give umbilical attachments. They haven't unclipped on me since.

Thanks just curious if others had the same problem. I can try cord they are suppose to be used direct clip according to BD. May be dumb question but are you not using clip just loop on tool girth hitch? I may cut originals off an put on nano or mini fs like I put on my homemade rigs never had problem.

I've used , home made tie ins, then girth hitched umbilicals, the BD Spinner, (in three forms, standand, bent biners as John comments on and the newest stronger gate version) Grivel in two forms ( flat biner and current locking mini) and the Blue Ice version which is a simple girth hitch.

Only the BD version snapping off tools that I am aware of. Grivel used then ditched the flat biner wire gate idea 5 years ago.

It seems silly to use anything that isn't at least as strong as the webbing in the umbilical or obviously unreliable for the intended purpose.

Extra swivels and non full strength or unreliable biners are unwanted on my kit.

Easy to over think this. But no real reason to do so imo.

Blue Ice version:

P1020071.JPG

I cut my originals out and put FS Minis on them. Makes it easy to clip in the rope when you are sketched placing a screw.

Never thought of that but makes sense. Still doesn't solve the problem of wire gates snapping off the shaft though.

John the old squeeze trick is what I thought too while out climbing last weekend just wasn't sure if it would be enough. Sounds like worked for you I'll try that first then if that fails mini FS biners. Thanks everyone for the input.

Edited by Skatan