Need training advise in Ohio

medicsandy

Ok, so I've noticed that several climbers on here originated from back this way. I'm in Columbus, OH and training for a July Rainier climb. I've pretty much exhausted all the small hills around here for training and feel I need more. Anyone have any ideas on some challenging hills within 4-5 hours of here? W.Virginia, Pennsylvania, Mich??? Thanks!!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad Upstate New York and New Hampshire are so far...I used to get pretty good workouts hiking the Tuckerman Ravine trail on Mt. Washington (4.2 miles/4000 ft. elevation gain), Mt. Marcy, etc. Hiking any hills with a heavy pack will help. I hope your plans will give you a couple days to acclimatize. I usually do better spending a couple days above 6-10,000 feet before summit day. I hope the weather cooperates and you have a great trip!

Hi Sandy, I used to live in SE Michigan, and I feel your pain. When you're looking for fun, vertical relief hiking out there, you have to think DOWN, not up. Look for gorges and valley parks that you can hike down and up, fast, with a light pack, to get your cardio on.

You're not far from the so-called "Old Man's Cave" in Hocking Hills state park. It's just a sandstone overhang in a gorge but it's quite beautiful. Google it.

Otherwise I endorse other's recommendations, Kentucky has your closest "hills".

Enjoy!

I had the same problem when I was in Indiana, but I still had a great trip out climbing Rainier, Baker, and Adams. The key for me was doing lots of hiking, but TONS of stairs with a pack.

Also as mentioned above, give yourself lots of time to acclimatize, you will have a far better time if you do!

Have a great trip! :brew:

like others have said, unfortunately you cannot specifically train for any activity without doing it, by and large. I ran into this before I joined my fiance who was doing a thru-hike.

that said, for indoors, stair mills or treadmills on maximum incline work for me. outdoors, you're well within a 5 hour drive for opportunity to hit some incredibly beautiful country in the spring (March/April/May). bucolic valley, climb to a ridge to some views and breezes, few miles of minor ups and down on the ridge, back down to another bucolic valley. repeat repeat repeat.

This is actually where I joined her and I can assure you, following the trail, you can get in multiple 2000ft~ climbs in a day. the section just north of pearisburg goes WEST-EAST, mostly perpendicular to the ridges.

http://www.fivemillionsteps.com/trailmap.php