[TR] Dragontail - NE Couloir 2/19/2011

jesselillis

Trip: Dragontail - NE Couloir

Date: 2/19/2011

Trip Report:

PreTrip

Thursday evening Jiri and I decided to climb. Sleeping at gate by ~930PM Friday.

Approach

Left car at 4AM as planned (brief encounter with Chad Kellog and Brittany (LN?) at car lot, planning to do Triple Couloir- did not see them again). Snowshoes on packs and bootpacked well-traveled road to TH (snowshoes after ~2 miles, ~2 inches slippery snow); arrived ~530AM (nice full moon for hike). Uneventful 2 miles to the trail split and another 2 to Colchuck lake (~750AM covered in ~8inches snow). Cross lake (~815AM) and started up in trees towards base of TC. Lots of snow up towards Asgaard pass (12-18 inches), some concerns re: snowpack and avy danger. Traversed high- almost at base of Dragontail, towards base of NEC. Snowpit (in pass): top ~24inches unconsolidated, then a hard 2inch crust, slightly weaker layer below; no clean layers broke on column test. Traversed across Asgaard Pass to continue ascent in trees for snow stabilization, ditched snowshoes and 1 pole each (kept 1 each for descent) and crossed the pass again to the base of NEC (~1020AM).

Climb

Snow in the couloir was far in excess of expectation- sinking to hip height for first ~300 feet vert; some discussion about our anticipated speed (very slow), unpreparedness/unwillingness to bivy and overall worthwhileness of climb. Deciding to slog to a 'constriction' in hopes of more consolidation, found sightly better conditions, but consistent slogging for 1000+ feet [Jiri was a machine through this as I felt progressively worse]. Climbing was unremarkable until ~1PM arrival at base of headwall (crux). Jiri graciously offered me this lead, which I took. Pitch was likely in M5 conditions, felt much more difficult for little gear and stable features absent/hidden by snow (presumably first of supposed 2 pitches of mixed climbing completely covered by snow). Jiri up behind me (3PM) and took off for what we made into 2 traversing pitches (steep and slippery) to notch below summit (5PM). Decided not to gun for summit (uncertain route-finding and time/light constraints).

Descent

Had to make 2 raps (free gear on route!) due to only bringing one rope. Back in pass ~540PM, back to snowshoes ~620PM, to lake by 7PM. You know the rest, it sucks. Car just after 11PM.

Subjective

1 No route finding issues. Mostly slowed by my hiking and the amount of snow we encountered; also by the time each of our leads took- hard to find pro (loose snow covering sparsely protectable rock).

2 I really need to learn about ISO and taking photos in the snow. The views from the climb were phenomenal, but killed by my inability to work a camera.

3 In these conditions I was underwhelmed by this route. Long approach, unremarkable snog slog, and 1+ mind f* leads.

Gear Notes:

Gear

rack- 4 screws (useless), 2 pickets, 3 tiny TCUs, .3,.5,1,2 camalots, nuts 4-10, 4 pitons*

rope- 1 50m

avy- shovel, beacon, probe

*a better rack for our conditions would have been 6 tiny tcus, nuts 4-8, 4 pitons (no screws, no cams bigger than .4)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some pictures from Saturday.

Triple Couloir entrance

IMG_2540.JPG

Traversing around Dragontail's base. The wind at Aasgard Pass was about SE depositing snow on our side

IMG_2541.JPG

The middle part of the cone was bottomless powder. The plan was to reach the constrictions above and turn around if things didn't improve

IMG_1222.JPG

Conditions got better the higher we went

IMG_2548.JPG

In some parts even the picks came in handy

IMG_2553.JPG

Jesse starting up the headwall

IMG_2555.JPG

Exiting at the top of the headwall

IMG_1240.JPG

The headwall was followed by two traversing pitches

IMG_2560.JPG

• 2 weeks later...