Best Video Camera for climbing

jrace2

I am looking for a video camera for climbing. I would like something that shoots high quality (i.e. for a web site) video, is durable, somewhat waterproof, and lightweight. This leads me to something like a GoPro, although I don't see myself using the head cam, other than for the occasional good ski line.

Here is where things get more difficult. I would also like to do some simple video or people talking, likely with a tripod and the GoPro appears to not have a jack for a microphone. It would be nice to have the option to have some decent sound quality from time to time.

This will be used on extended expeditions so it needs to be something where I can charge the battery off a solar system with a USD port. I don't think the flip system will work as I need to be able to pull out the card and add cards as they fill.

So he is what I need:

Lightweight

Battery chargeable from a solar panel (or AA's)

Waterproof enough to use in the winter

Good sound quality

Durable

Anybody have the perfect system?

Let me know if this is the wring forum for this?

John

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Related thread I started recently:

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/992482/Helmet_Camera_Anyone_have_one#Post992482

Word is that the GoPro is supposed to support an external mic soon, but they've been saying that for over a year.

I know you can get rechargable set up for it that will work with solar.

A couple of the others appear to offer external mics (the Drift Innovations one and the VIO for example).

The winner in the consumer space for now appears to be the gopro, but it obviously doesn't fit your spec exactly. I have seen video where people record sound using another sound recording device and sync it that have turned out very well.

Canon Digital Elf. Its not waterproof but I have carried it and gotten it wet many times in my jacket pocket. Very compact, takes a beating. and good video.

The Canon s95 does 720p. Its a great little camera. I've had many iterations of the Elf and similar cameras, I think they are great for the money.

Thanks for this. I am wondering if it is not worth the hassle to lug along the Canon Rebel T1i on expeditions and for closer to home use. I certainly use my Rebel without video capability on enough trips to justify owning it.

The goPro has many downsides, but does provide relatively inexpensive action type photos.

The G12 looked really cool and I know folks who used these in Tibet for climbing with good results. The flip screen is a downside, so I looked for a G10, and they seem to retail for more than they originally sold for as they are not available.

Hmmmmm....

Kodak Zi8 supports an external mic and has 720p and 60fps (the 60 fps is more important than 1080p at 30 fps I found, although the 1080p is beautiful)

The still shots with this camera are 5 megapixels and actually quite fantastic too! I used this camera on a month long road trip over october and it worked great. Can handle up to 32 gb cards I believe, and charges via a mini usb port. It also features a macro mode which is nice for close-ups.

A few samples:

Photo samples:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=875281556798&set=a.875281167578.2498484.21723138&theater

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=875302325178&set=a.875301287258.2498492.21723138&theater

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=886231627768&set=a.886231283458.2504971.21723138&theater

Let me know if you have any other questions about the camera. I think it is a great option.

Panasonic GH2

External mic input. Stereo sound.

1080p 24/25/30 fps in AVCDHC codec! 720p 60fps. Auto Whitebalance zoom/focus.

Weight as little as 1.2lbs. With 10X! zoom 1.8lbs. With Image stabilization.

Can take Stills while taking video with the push of a button. Don't have to switch between modes.

Does stills as well excellently. I find that even with a video camera, most of what I take are still pictures as they make screen savers and pictures for framing. I like to print BIG. Hook it on your shoulder strap. As for Waterproofness. Hmm Not sure. But are you going kayaking? I do and no I don't even contemplate using such cams for that purpose. If you are then your options go WWWWWAAAAAAYYYYYY down.

Sounds like you are more interested in helmet sized cams which means crappy video IMO, but they are much lighter. As for hooking battery up to Solar cells, take said charger and cut out the 120-12v power converter for "normal" batteries of the 7.6V type in most cameras and attach the ~12V solar cell power input to the power leads of said charging system. All lithium cells need a power converted that measures the resistance of the cells while charging! If you are only looking for AA batteries... Good luck. This limits you to probably 1 or 2 cameras total. Try ripping the guts out of a normal battery saving the power plugs and attach power that way, though with onboard computers on the batteries and in the cameras its a bit more problematical as many camera manufactures won't allow you to do as the internals of the camera look for a specific battery type. They will have 5 pins used instead of simple power only pins of +/-. All lithium batteries need this arragement for battery life diagnosis.

External Battery placement is kinda needed for where its cold as said batteries performance chocks the big one at 0F. Even Lithium, though they are better than NICAD batteries. In otherwords if you want said batteries to work in cold conditions for video you will need them in your coat pocket! Limits you BIG time for video options.

As I am sure you are aware most typical digital true camcorders weigh in around 1lb.