Back Country/Ski mountaineering

stever

Hi

I was hoping to get some advice on skiing setups and what works best for the following:

winter mountaineering

snowy approaches (instead of snow shoes)

Back country skiing

Easy snow descents

I have down hilled skiied a bit before, but don't have any interest in the busy ski resorts. Furthermore, it makes more sense to ski in/out during winter mountaineering instead of snowshoes or just boots.

I have no back country experience but would like some advice on what types of setups are most versatile and reliable. I would prefer to find bindings that can adapt to mountain boots (LS Nepal EVO) or double boots of some sort. As well as use ski specific boots for easier snow ascents (no climbing involved)

Or if there is a website similar to cc.com that would help, please suggest.

Thanks!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a type of ski that is very short (you would mount it with alpine touring bindings) that might fit your needs very well. Maybe called snow blades and are about as long as a snowshoe. PM Tvash (tvashtarkatena) as he has a pair and uses them in the mountains often. He is also a very good skier so I do not know the skill required to use them in the variable mountain conditions. I tried them but flailed miserably in nasty snow conditions.

Whatever you choose to use may require some time in a ski area to learn the skill, wether you like it or not. The mountains is a lousy place to learn how to ski.

. . . and skiing in crap variable snow with soft climbing boots and a heavy pack. I can't do it worth shit on my 99 cm ski boards (don't call em blades, that's ghey), my 130 cm setup is slightly more forgiving length wise but also a bit harder to turn. They really excel in corn snow in the spring though! I'm not a good enough skier to do anything other than approach in variable/crusty snow and if it's likely to be too crappy I still take the snowshoes because they are easier for me on the downhill. Worth seeing how you do though, for real skiing I'm loving my Dynafit setup.

Howdy Steve,

I use Silvretta bindings and Karhu 10th Mountains in a 186. We got lots of DEEP loose snow here at times so I need a combo of width and length for floatation.

Length is nice for when I can haul ass and glide. Big plus of skis is one can fly up or down stuff you might be able to walk on.

I find waxless is nice as it can be a pain to climb and skins are GREAT but not needed all the time. Just try something like TGR for a forum, lots of backcountry fans on the pass these days......