BD Mail Order Sale

Rainier_Wolfscastle

Just thought I'd pass on some pretty good deals being offered by BD mail order.I scanned the fax they sent me to address below:

http://home1.gte.net/4mkempt/bd_sale.jpg

Couple of really good deals I noticed:

9.4mm X 70m hotline dry $1199.4mm X 70m hotline $99 (not listed, but available when I called)Livewire biners for $4.95BD packs are a almost half price.

You have to order by mail.

Mike.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Rainier Wolfscastle:
9.4mm X 70m hotline dry $1199.4mm X 70m hotline $99

do we really need 70m ropes? are we going to start seeing existing rap anchors spaced 35 and 70m apart? the main reason i see for carrying a 60 is you will find existing rap anchors spaced for these ropes and it can suck if you only have a 50. i don't want to be carrying heavy ropes around. can't we just have everybody use normal length ropes and stop the insanity?

I agree Gregm. My thought is that for the manufacturer the marginal cost of the additonal rope is approaching the inconsequential but since they can charge more than an inconsequential amount fo rthe additinal rope its merely a way to increase their bottom line. Stop the insanity is right!

quote:

Originally posted by erik:
well greg, when you move away from exit 38 there are routes and crag where a 70m rope works much better.....

all my ropes are 70m and i carry them in the mtns.....

cannot we not stop the stupidity!!!!!!

Erik, do you have big rope envy or something...my rope is looonger than yoooure rope. Get over it dude, leave the sport climbers alone. Index is cool, but come on it's not that cool....as cool as you at least. tongue.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0[Wazzup]

bone, i was talking about mount yourmom.....my old favorite crag....

but now that you mention it, yeah i guess they work there too.....

this is in spray right???

and oh yeah i have one those ropes and highly recomend it!!!

[ 03-07-2002: Message edited by: erik ]

Greg man, look at it this way:

If sport climbing, you may have an issue...when I started climbing 50m was standard, and almost everything with arbitrary endings you could get off with a 50m, 60m was considered a long rope and routes requiring a 60 to rap were just starting to become popular. Now you worry that suddenly your 60 won't get you off a route that someone puts up on a 70...

If you're a TRAD climber, OTOH, a 50m rope was used more out of weight issue than anything else. 11mm ropes are freakin heavy! As rope technology got better, single ropes got thinner, hence lighter and my current preferred trad line is a 70m 9.8mm. If you're building your anchors anyway, you'll enjoy eliminating a few belays/changeovers on long routes. You'll be anble to run alot of pitches together on routes with established belay anchors or ledges(something a 60m made nice, but a 70m makes even better). Of course if the pitches are really hard and you need the rest at the normal belay, whatever, stop and set your belay. On some long in-a-day routes (Half Dome reg route comes to mind), and particularly on alpine rock where there tends to be alot of easy ground mixed in with the harder stuff, a 70m can mean the difference between getting off before dark and spending a cold-ass night on a small ledge.

It's not madness man, it's speed, and speed is safety in alot of cases.

Ditto what Will said . . .

Eric - I need a new 70 meter skinny, can you provide any more details about how much use you put it through? i.e. how long did you have it, going out how often, falling alot or little, very much multipitch (it just seems harderon it than cragging), any jugging, yadda yadda

I'd be especially curious about how soft a catch it is, I love the spring ropes that reduce the forces on the gear (probably the only reason I consider the small lowe balls freeclimbing protection . . . )

It seems like my last couple of sub .10 mil lines only lasted one season of climinb 2-3 times a week, lots of falls . . . I suppose that's about all I can expect.

thanks,matt

thanks, matt

anybody else familiar with this rope?