Heat molding Spantik liners?

Dane

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question sort of along the same subject. I hot-rodded my old Invernos by replacing the long ago packed out stock bootie with Intuition liners. I had them baked at Marmot in Bellevue. Overall the fit is ok, but the top of the liners have a sewn over 'piping' that digs into my shin terribly. I have resorted to taping gauze pads on my shin where the piping digs in. Any idea how to roll over the top edge of the top of the bootie so it is more comfortable? Maybe heat it with a heat gun and mold it by hand?

"Maybe heat it with a heat gun and mold it by hand?"

That is what I would do or if you wanted them redone and you are local and want a betetr than 'OK" fity I would just have Zach redo them for you and address that and any other monor problems you might have.

Thanks for the link Jon.

FYI....and just my opinion but no way in hell if you use that method on a pair of climbing boots for an Intuition or a La Sportiva inner boot will they fit. You need way more toe cap than a pair of thick wool socks as a starter. Better bang your heel and toes when the boot is hot because if you don't you will regret it later. And likely pay the tab in blood..your blood. Spraying lube on a liner you'll be climbing in makes no sense to me when a plastic shopping bag does a better job and is easier on the inner boot.

In comparison to a ski boot, climbing boots and their inner boots are very, very fragile. Monkey around with them much when they are hot and you'll be ripping eyelets out of the boots or just tearing the material. As I noted not much foam in a Spantik inner to mold in the first place.

I've molded lots of ski boots for myself and customers. Climbing boots are a totally different animal. For climbing boot liners I don't think the TGR link is a good source of info. There is some good info there if you read every page but getting that info translated inot somethng useful by someone who knows what they are doing and the differences in use and fit of both styles boots is a totally different story. Ski boot fit is not climbing boot fit.YMMV