Mega Lite & Mega Bug?

Lisa_D

Hey, we are thinking about taking the plunge and getting a Mega Lite. The only question is regarding how to protect from bugs.

I lived in a Beta Mid with the bucket floor (no bug net) for 5 weeks in the summer of '09, 3 of which were in the Olympic Mountains. I seem to remember being able to seal the floor and the tent body together enough to keep most of the bugs out, but sometimes had to use my mosquito head net and wear a raincoat to avoid getting bitten.

We'll use the Mega Lite for climbing, of course, but the main reason we're getting it is for our extended bike tour. It will be our home for long periods of time and we think the extra room, ability to cook in the tent, and to sit up in the tent, will be pretty nice. We will be bike touring in Europe to start, and possibly touring for up to 3 months. I don't know how the bugs are in Europe, but to me, it sounds like the Mega Bug would be a worthwhile addition. However, we've also heard of people putting 12" of bug netting around the bottom of the mega lite. Does this work just as well or should we just go for the Mega Bug?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The mega bug adds a fair amount of weight... at that point you might as well be packing a real tent. If you're trying to keep it lightweight just wear a bug head-net when sleeping. If you're touring in the far north where bugs are bad then it might be worthwhile - otherwise I'd say it's overkill.

Yeah, I think it's kind of a fine line to decide on. The mega bug and mega lite together are about 5 lbs, but they offer much more space than our current 6 lb 2 person tent, and they compress well for going into the panniers. It's just that we'll be on a really long trip, hopefully all the way around Europe and far north to the fjords of Norway. Are the bugs worse in the north, then? I have no experience in Europe!

if want a floor, then the bug netting in the mega bug is a small addition of weight. If you don't need a floor, the sewing in bug netting sounds like a good option.

the mega bug is good for those nights where you don't want the fly but still bug protection. looking at the stars through the netting full of bloodsuckers trying to get in.

Fascinating question.

Homes in western and central Europe don't have summer window screens. Residents believe there aren't mosquitos, but there actually are some. The north is I suppose different.

I' ve been very worried about this question. Camping in alpine snow swamps in Washington, I've opted for m. nets....Batten down the Hex & it seems to create a credible bug barrier.... BUT I DON"T KNOW really