Winter glove for $35?

scottgg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got both of those here in Wyo, just cracks me up that folks will spend $$$$$$$$$$$ on boots, pons, tools, ropes, screws, etc. etc., go leashless and save $15 on gloves.

Could be wrong (often am), but if rock climbers feel big $$ well spent where the rubber hits the stone, think I'd want best gloves possible. :poke:

Then again I really do have a coldfinger, need good gloves!

Edited by Coldfinger

Ninja Ice? Or any similar knit glove available at your local mini mart? Sticky rubber palms and short cuffs. Ropes run poorly on the rubber imo. I've used them, too sticky for me and I generally climb were it is colder than they are comfortable in.

But for the price if you can get over the down sides, decent glove. Sure is sticky on the tools. Every one should try them. Perfect glove if you do a lot of short sport stuff close to the road and you can place a screw quickly with the sticky palms. Sport dry tooling climbing bolts? Awesome choice.

I like Mike's B/E better. But the B/E is still not warm enough for me generally. May be on those sunny one stick days when you wonder wtf will be falling off on you :)

MH Torsion is warmer and will last a LOT longer in my experience. I have a pair that has 60+ full pitches of ice and rapping on them and look like new. Never thought they would last that long. Great deal at $30 and good deal at $50 full retail imo.

Still when it is cold none of them will do for me and I bump up to the MH Hydra...which is $100 retail and generally can be had for $80 on sale.

Ninja Ice $12 CDN

These look nice, where do you find them? I have never seen them in stores beore.

I got mine at Cascade Industrial in Chwk, but that was last year.

This year Mark's Work Wearhouse is carrying them with the "Dakota" brand slapped over the "Ninja" brand name, for $12.99 - check the catalog online. They are surprisingly hard to find in store, though. I was told today by a clerk there's one pair in Langley, 6 pairs in Aldergrove and none in Chilliwack or Abby. Go figure. There's also none at the Marks next to MEC in North Van.

Lightfoot Gas in Lillooet had a couple pairs but the ones they had left when I was there last (early October) were all XL :(

I got in 35-odd pitches on mine last year. Even at $12.99 a pop I figure I may as well buy another pair or two, if I can find them that is. Cascade might get some in now it's cold season.

N9690.JPG

http://www.gloves-online.com/proddetail.php?prod=WK-CN9690

NEW - #WK-CN9690 - MCR™ Ninja "ICE" - Coated Thermal Gloves.

Dual Shell Thermal Glove - 2 gloves in 1

07 Gauge Soft Acrylic Micro-Terry Liner for warmth and comfort(enlarge image on the left)

15 Gauge Durable Nylon Shell Coated with HPT on Palm & Fingertips

HPT (Hydropellent Technology) - Repels liquids while still providing a firm wet or dry grip.

Coating remains soft and flexible in temperatures as low as -50 C/-58 F

Treated in Actifresh to kill bacteria and promote freshness.

Good for Cold Storage, Agriculture, Commercial Fishing, Construction/Utilities and outdoor winter use. .

Sizes: M-XL.

Only $7.50/Pair

1 Dozen - $67.50 (Only $5.63/Pair) .

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Got both of those here in Wyo, just cracks me up that folks will spend $$$$$$$$$$$ on boots, pons, tools, ropes, screws, etc. etc., go leashless and save $15 on gloves.

Could be wrong (often am), but if rock climbers feel big $$ well spent where the rubber hits the stone, think I'd want best gloves possible. :poke:

Well then, pray tell, what do you use? Or did you mean that's what you use, or that they sell them there. Cornfused.

I think Coldfinger and I were both being a little tongue in cheek suggesting the Ninja's were worth $5.63 a pair. Worht a try for $5.63, sure. Then you cna make up your own mind.

Funny how I relate my choice in gloves to the fact I have never had the screaming barfies while ice climbing...as in never, ever. And a good percentage of that was in Dachsteins.

Well then, pray tell, what do you use? Or did you mean that's what you use, or that they sell them there. Cornfused.

I've actually used gloves quite similar to the Ninja (almost identical) doing pipefitting work outside in a Wyoming winter and was miserable. They are not that warm and I hated the feel of the fabric on my skin when I had been wet for a while.

And yes anywhere you have a gas field and cold I'd have to imagine there are truckloads of these type gloves, with brand variance.

Call me cantankerous but I am amused by the irony of $600 pair of tools, $600 dollars worth of screws and $6 gloves, but hey if it fits your boat......

Generally I wear gloves (plural) and since I'm not rich buy them on sale, so the sale often chooses the glove. So... Either a lightweight or midweight liner (always) then (current choices) BD Torque, BD Pursuit, BD Legend. All three are champs for me.

I've got weird hands and feet so glove/shoe buying is always an ordeal, but I like the softshell type gloves as they are stretchy and more forgiving fit-wise.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Coldfinger

This just tells me you haven't used the Ninjas because they, unlike other gardening-style gloves, are super warm and made of a hydrophobic fabric so even if you get them wet they don't feel all that damp against your hand. I must have tried about 5 different styles of other brands before I found these and saying you've used an "almost identical" glove just indicates you can't notice the differences that make these ones the real deal.

Call me cantankerous but I am amused by the irony of $600 pair of tools, $600 dollars worth of screws and $6 gloves, but hey if it fits your boat......

So if the exact same glove cost $100 instead of $6, suddenly you'd think it was worth wearing, right? :lmao:

It is both cold and isolated here in Wyoming. We are very exposed to the wind to boot. The car is quite often a ways away. I recall Cascade winters feeling almost balmy.

And yes I have worn a very close clone of your faves, not Gardening gloves (I am not so much of an idiot that I'd wear "gardening gloves" for a fourteen hour continuous shift outside at night at 40 below). I didn't like the fit either.

And yes you feel wet, the majority of surface area doesn't breathe at all, and the back is not very water resistant. And no my gloves didn't cost me $100 a pair, not even close.

I find it a bit disingenuous to compare Ninjas to $100+ gloves as Ninjas compare more closely to softshell gloves in the 40-50 dollar range (without a sale price). Are you seriously telling me you'd use a Ninja at 21,000 feet or in Denali NP?

So while I am sure these Ninjas work well in many circumstances, not for me.

Look, they're just fine for winter sport climbing, but I'd never trust them in deep cold or winter alpine/mountaineering. Like I said I really do have a coldfinger.

Let's just be clear for those who don't have the years of winter experience we do that these are good or even great gloves, but with serious limitations. If you total up the expense of gear--nevermind the road trip costs in terms of gas, lodging, even lost wages--why would one save 25 to 35 bucks at most when gloves are one of the most important tools we use?

I've worn these things down to -25C no problem.

temple4.jpg

Ben Firth wearing a pair of the Atlas gloves (not as good as the Ninjas but all that was available in this style in 2003) during FWA of Temple N face. Of course he used to wear Carhartts for winter climbing too...

People aren't wearing these because they are cheap, as you suggest, but because of the superior performance. On Flickr and on UKclimbing.com I have seen anecdotes of Cham and Swiss guides ordering Ninja gloves by the box for winter climbing...

I have destroyed a couple pair of the softshell gloves over the years. I got the Ninjas to use as an approach glove and then switch into my current pair of BD Pilots for the climbing but I found after a while that the Ninjas climbed better and were warmer than the Pilots so I stopped climbing in the Pilots.