Scarpa Phantom Guide and Ultra info?

Dane

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got an older model pair of the Scarpa Phantom Lite a couple of weeks ago on Amazon for a good price (with the red short gaiter).

The zipper got misaligned and jammed. In trying to free it the zipper pull blew up. Major functional failure with no easy field fix. Luckily I was only walking home from a dinner party.

They are going back for a refund.

Both La Sportiva and Scarpa changed the zippers on the Phantom line and the Batura to a new and much more durable...and easily fixable/field maintainable zipper.

It is called the TIZIP.

DSCF1354.JPG

But having a zipper on a mtn boot at all is still a questionable design feature imo. The extra warmth provided by a "super gater" is worth the risk I think. But no question they are prone to typical zipper failures or operator error and take some extra care and effort to be reliable.

mine had the TIZIP tag. But I don't think I could make any repair to the zipper pull that broke into 2 pieces. Probably a repair shop could replace it. But I don't like the boots for other reasons too, so back they go.

tizip.jpg

looking closely it seems the casting is poor quality where the pull broke apart - a number of larger bubbles and voids.

I have the original model Phantom Lites like Fern, but haven't had any issues with my TIZIP zipper after ~two dozen days on ice. (But now I'm a little worried...) I just zip carefully and deliberately, and never have a problem.

Dane, I've been using step-in Cyborgs on my Phantom Lites and have the same issues with the toe piece shifting off-center. I just adjust mine for a super tight fit, which requires some extra grunt to put on, but can never get them lined up for that perfect fit. I agree with you that the lower profile toes on boot soles are advantageous, so a "Scarpa toe-bail" from BD or Petzel would be welcome.

mine had the TIZIP tag. But I don't think I could make any repair to the zipper pull that broke into 2 pieces. tizip.jpg

looking closely it seems the casting is poor quality where the pull broke apart - a number of larger bubbles and voids.

Point well taken...seriously thanks. In Europe a few buddies who climb a lot of ice and granite say the Scarpa's have a well earned reputation for durability compared to the old La Sportiva zipper. But the picture obviously gives one a moment of hesitation. NFW to fix that besides a lot of duct tape. The upside is that failure is not a typical zipper blow out.

Bails? Petzl bails on BD 'pons will help. But BD has a new bail that might be available yet this winter. I am hopeing to get a pair before the Bozeman Ice fest...hopeing. I'll let you know on the blog if or when I do.

That what you get for using a zipper for feet, we all know where zippers belong, besides I can always do all sorts of other things like kill like a ninja or hang myself (that's why jail has slippers) with my shoelaces.

Seriously, IMHO boots are so important, especially if its a specialized boot for high altitude and arctic temps, that laces are the only safe option (perhaps aside from ski boot buckles).

the Phantoms do have laces. They are inside the zipped gaiter.

after playing with them I think that with some effort you could still "zip" the boot up even with no zipper pull, so it would not be game-over if it happened mid-trip. You just have to mash the zipper together by hand - which granted would be tricky to do while wearing gloves.

the Amazon.com return policy seems fairly hassle free so far - we will see if my VISA gets credited with the refund ...

Overall I did not really like the boots anyways because they were way too laterally stiff in the ankle, and uncomfortable to walk in. I think a case of downscaling a "big" boot to a sz38 without easing up the stiffness needed for the greater leverage of bigger feet.

Hey CF? It is old technology. We were putting zippers and velcro in Super gaiters back in the '70s. Works fine. No difference here really. Worth the extra hassle for the added warmth. Not that I would mind a velcro cover to beef up the zipper mind you.

But the new zippers are water proof and no one wants any more weight than required added to the boots these days.

True but I still disagree and velcro is more trustworthy than a zipper, besides I don't think that MacGyver ever escaped anything with a zipper.

Had a pair of zipper gaiters and hated them, velcro lets one get a nice snug custom fit. I guess I just don't see the advantage of taking what would normally be a double boot and making the zipper the outer fastening, especially if you are someone like me who beats the hell out of his footwear.

Well anyway it's not like I'll ever have the $$ to own a pair! :rolleyes:

Edited by Coldfinger