Cochise Stronghold at Christmas

mattp

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cochise is a good place. The camping on the eastern side is accessed by a paved road, and has both developed and un-developed campsites. It also remains in the shade longer, both in the morning and the evening.

Camping on the western approaches is typical in one of two areas: at the end of the road, and near and before the Sheepshead. The approach to the road head is burly, and can be difficult for vehicles other than light trucks and SUV's. Like the developed eastern campsite, it can be shady.

The camping near the Sheepshead is on BLM rangeland and there are no "common" campsites. It is sunny from sunrise to sunset.

All the western camping is 9 to 19 miles from Tombstone, and further from any store that sells more than beer, pop, and chips.

Non climbing activities are limited to hiking, and probably horse (dude) back riding. Given the extensive history of the area, I'm sure there are a number of ruins around the area.

Not far away is Chiricahua NM, Saguaro NP, Fort Bowie National Historic Site, the historic mining town of Bisbee, an extensive (but not open to the public) collection of helicopters on 191 south of the Interstate, the well known flight museum at/associated with Davis-Motham.

One can also hang with the militia members near Douglas, and protect our southern border, as well as ogle Go-go girls and get your self a hooker near Fort Huachuca. Sidle up next to a spook at Fort Huachuca City, and find out what the Taliban is up to. Maybe even use a Predator to take out a terrorist on a iPhone app.

It can be cool, but not worrisome so, and will probably be sunny

what num1 said. but I'd add that we've seen good conditions & shitty conditions over the xmas/new years time frame, eg from couple years back:

477620.JPG

I think that a place like the Rockfellows will be too cold to climb (it's just windy up there all the time it seems). But there's plenty to do lower down, eg. Sheepshead dome, Whale dome, out of towners dome etc....

we've done a few trips down there over the years (you can see my bs here )

if you get tired of cold camping, cheap motels can be found in benson, ~30-45 minutes away from west cochise (1hr + from east). lastly, we've never had issues getting a sedan all the way to the end of the road in the west stronghold but i know things can change after every big downpour...sheepshead trailhead should be accessible though.

Ewe_camp.jpg

I think it'd be a great place, especially the West side! This is near the Isle of Ewe cragging area. Lots of camping that is unimproved (no tables, toilets etc.) but also free and pretty unrestricted. Lots of hiking and exploring for the non-climbers.

You'd have to be geared up for variable weather, but your odds of sun would be better than most anywhere else in the lower 48. I was there last January and despite stormy El Nino weather, we climbed 4 days out of 6. There are a bunch of winter Stronghold TRs in the archives.

I like it lots. I like finding cool un-developed camp spots.

Can someone post the name of the route setter who sets sport rts. w/ close bolt spacing?

The rock is realy fun. Unique. The route pro for most routes is reminiscent of Darrington and Tuolome.

REM: The vegetation is nasty. Water is limited or non existant.