sling video

johndavidjr

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the video and didn't really see anything that was new, here is what I got from it:

- Nylon is not very elastic.

- Dyneema is even less elastic.

- Tying a knot in Dyneema halves it's strength (I believe similar is true with nylon).

- If you anchor in with either of these inelastic materials, you SHOULD NOT put yourself in a position to fall upon the anchor. Even falling 2 feet can put a huge amount of force on the system.

- All the forces at which slings failed this test are above the point where pro and human bodies start to break.

You should see my friend's video. He bar tacked a sling with duct tape and took leader falls on it (obviously under controlled environments- I.E.- top rope backup.)

What was the purpose? I suppose I've done wierder things, "just to see what happens" but I'm hoping this isn't in preperation for some plan 'B' lol. Damn, I used to just check rap anchors for sound material and solid placement....now I have to start eying all of those weird duct tape wrappings I've been seeing.