GPS waypoints for Liberty Ridge?

sourstraw

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the retort to that Dane would be, why would you take compass berrings on your trip? Because you want to go in bad weather? Or as an exercise of caution? Waypoints don't add any weight and could mean the difference between life and death in certain circumstances.

I'm not trying to be rude but in almost every post that someone asks a question you almost always be-little them or egg them to start a spray fight. I don't doubt you know your stuff, but if someone asks something why not give them the info if you have it or not post.

Just my 2 cents

Thanks for the supportive message Brian ... !! And Dane, Yikes, I had no idea that my post would cause a mild commotion.

Shockingly, I am not planning to do Liberty Ridge in bad weather, nor am I planning to use GPS waypoints as an intellectual exercise. Instead, I have a friend who is hoping to climb Liberty Ridge in a few weeks ... he has limited computer access right now, and so I told him that I would check some local resources to see if anybody had them available. He just got a new GPS unit and wanted to program them into his GPS.

I climbed Rainier last year via the Emmons - I've never done Liberty Ridge ... I was just trying to do a favor for a friend. In addtion - I also agree that having GPS waypoints isn't a bad idea - they don't weigh anything as Brian pointed out ... and they could come in espescially helpful in an unexpected white-out, or even in the case when a climb takes longer than expected and the climbers are not able to complete the ascent/descent before the weather deteriorates. I could write a novel about "what ifs" where GPS waypoints might be useful.

I hope this isn't the wrong forum to ask for assistance from fellow climbers? I've gotten nothing but helpful climbing advice from some other PNW climbing/hiking sites.

Stacy

You have the right forum and lots of helpful people here. Although you may not like all the answers you get.

But Whoaaaa guys.. I was't trying to start anything or be rude. I was just asked a simple question. Although you might not appreciate why I asked it. And you got a free bump on your question since no one had replied yet. Which you might wonder why no one has answered yet.

I don't have the way points to share and if I did I'd still ask the same question.

My apologies if anyone is offended it certainly wasn't my intention.

To be honest I can only think of a few preset way points that would really be helpful - those from Liberty Cap to Columbia Crest and down the Emmons along with perhaps the base of the ridge itself. Anything else to me would be so transient as not to be useful unless taken while on the way in.

That said I do not have any - for that matter I am still in the analogue era and take a map and compass.