Sahale Arm shortcut

BillA

Selected Climbs mentions there's a more direct route to Sahale Arm from the parking lot than doing the endless switchbacks. I can't picture it right now, has anyone taken this route? Is finding it pretty obvious? Thanks!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

hahaha. This brings up memories. I took a spontaneous trip up there, to do the Quieben Sabe Glacier. I took the trail up to below the Sahale Arm and realized I was way to far towards the wrong side of the mountain (I didn't study the trip description very well aparently). I then preceeded to go straight up towards the arm, then left towards the other side of the mountain. So yes, there is a direct way. Is it reasonable? Not really.

Follow the Cascade Pass Trail for ~2.5 miles to a switchback that cuts back to climber's right. To your left will be open slopes (some brush in late season, probably snow-covered right now). From here, you climb straight up (and slightly left) to intersect the Sahale Arm trail. It works well as long as it's snow-covered.