[TR] Mt Hood - Castle Crags -kind of.... 4/19/2010

sefton

Trip: Mt Hood - Castle Crags -kind of....

Date: 4/19/2010

Trip Report:

mt_hood_summit.jpg

Picture_4.jpg

Climbed a route I made up on Sunday, climbed a steep arete from Illumination Saddle up to Castle Crags, left up a 50 degree coloir and came out on a 50 -65 degree face underneath Castle Crags but facig the Old Chute route, then climbed up to the ridge proper and round a few icy gendarmes to the summit! Good times. Time was a bout 6 hours up - a little convoluted way to the sumit, but had some interest on the steeper ground.

Gear Notes:

2 tools

Crampons

Helmet

Approach Notes:

Head Up, then pick a line, any line.

Edited by sefton

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You just need better visualization JohnGo clearly - I think what I said was pretty straightforward personally.

But since you are maddeningly lame I have added a route photo, I am sure its probably been done many times before, it just happened I chose to make my own way up as I felt conditions allowed.

Great photo . . . but, IMHO, a maddeningly lame report.

Why bother with a post like this? It's not much help to anyone who wants to try the route.

People pay good money for great photos like that John. Has an easy to follow red line too.....

This is the good stuff! Pretty reasonable time on it too for spring. Thanks for sharing it.

yeah I kept hoping there was some fun couloir that snuck up to the main ridge through castle crags but no such luck - my first time climbing Mt Hood though - more fun to come.

And yes it is contrived but fun!

Edited by sefton