North Face (Eiger) film is bad

timmy_t

Just saw "North Face" in Bellingham last night, based on Kurz and Hinterstoisser's attempt to climb the Eiger Nordwand, and I just want to say that it was disappointing, even not good. There, I said it. Joe Simpson's "The Beckoning Silence" was much, much, better (link below).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmjJBu0xiwc

It wasn't "Cliffhanger" or "Vertical Limit" bad, but I don't understand why they changed so much of the drama of the retreat, especially with what ensued after the avalanche. And I didn't like how the climbers were mostly portrayed as selfish assholes (wait...). The rival team were idiots, and the rescue climbers had to be guilt-tripped into helping with the rescue attempt. Then there was the inevitable added drama of the sleazy journalist and the almost-girlfriend. And of course every piton was about to pull out, and every step was a near-danger of slipping. Could have been better, rats.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i liked it. the drama with the journalist was a little forced, but it was something i could take the misses to and we both enjoyed it. the climbing scenes were pretty spot on.

movies in general are all about expectations. i went into it realizing that it was a "hollywood-esque" film and so expected some hokey themes.

Maybe if you wanted to respond to one of my specific criticisms I would have a different way of looking at it when I saw it again. I wanted to like it. I was excited going in. I just found myself rolling my eyes a lot. It's an amazing story and I respect it, but that's why I liked Simpson's "Beckoning" so much.