Colchuck glacier questions

mtn.climber

I'm leaving to climb Colchuck peak via Colchuck glacier tomorrow. I expect that ropes/crampons aren't needed at this time of year, but I don't know that for sure. With the extra 4 mile walk on the road going in, I'd like to lighten my pack load. Can anyone confirm that I can leave some things behind. Thanks.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been almost 2 weeks since I was up there (and there was a dump of snow since then) but it was soft snow and postholing up the slopes to the glacier. I doubt it will have gotten too hard, but you never know. You should have great weather until Sunday. Have a great time!Panorama_221.JPG

I've been on it in october when there was no snow left covering the crevasses. They are few and very small. And the cracks were no where near the normal natural path up. You would have to go out of your way to get into the cracks zone. With all the snow, a rope is not really needed and I am a glacier scaredy cat.

I doubt that you will need crampons either. But if you want to be safe, you could get by easily with the lightweight Aluminum types.

enjoy and show us some photos! that place is real nice and my fave in the cascades.