Mt. Adams in June

medicsandy

Ok, going to throw this one out there for those of you that live out that way and might have a good guess for me. We are planning to climb Adams the last week of June from the Trout Lake side. We're getting ready to finalize our plans in the next few weeks and get our airline reservations. We want to make sure that we can drive to the trailhead, but are hoping to climb on some decent snow. We're hearing that the snowfall out there has been way down this year. What are your thoughts on us moving our trip up a week, to the third week in June??? We didn't want to move it up too much, as the road might not be open. Thanks for any input!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd move it back a month or if you have skis, move it back even more - this year has been crappy with the snow fall - but your best realistic bet may be to move it back a week or 2 like you are thinking.

it's really kind of hard to say but since you're flying here from Ohio i guess you have to figure it out now...

Good luck, and have fun on the scree fields!

i'd move it back a month or if you have skis, move it back even more - this year has been crappy with the snow fall - but your best realistic bet may be to move it back a week or 2 like you are thinking.
He means move it UP, as in, sooner. The road wasn't open in 2009 until mid to late June so I think you'll be fine to come in mid June and still have plenty of snow, even accounting for this year's decreased snowpack.

You can watch http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/recreation/current-conditions/roads.shtml for updates on road 80 and 8040 and also call the Ranger Station for updates. Watch here for updates as well. As spring approaches, lots of skiers will be heading there to try it out. I know there is a BIG downed tree across the road according to the last Trip Report I saw, but that will get cut out pretty fast.

Thanks for the in put. We are new to climbing, we did Adams last year and were turned around at 10,000 due to wind. We are also driving up to Rainier after Adams and going up to Muir. I love Rainier....it's so beautiful. Our plan is to attempt a summit of Rainier in July of next year.

Thanks for the in put. We are new to climbing, we did Adams last year and were turned around at 10,000 due to wind. We are also driving up to Rainier after Adams and going up to Muir. I love Rainier....it's so beautiful. Our plan is to attempt a summit of Rainier in July of next year.

Climb Baker than. South Spur up Adam's wont get you any glacial experience which you'll appreciate for Rainier. Unless you've already been up Baker.

Have never been up Baker. I think it would be a good blimb before Rainier. Would you recommend doing it through a guide service? We've got all our equipment except for harnesses and ropes. We've have to to with someone that know how to train us on that stuff.

kno wurries. u r stil mor cohearant than us in our best dayz. :)

there are plenty of good guide services on baker. AAI, alpine ascents and others have people on that mtn regularly. Or you could fish for someone from this site and hope for the best. Maybe summit chaser? :)

Baker is a very kind mtn. She doesn't seem to smack down inexperience like rainier. It is surprising that more people don't have accidents on baker.

No probs!

You could take a 3-day skills and summit course with AAI or the likes. I would be cheaper than anything on Rainier. Or maybe just their 3-day skills course and summit yourself. If you have a week I think that would be very rewarding.

Adams' south route is a great way to get up high without too much investment but I think you'd appreciate what Baker has to offer in prep for Rainier.