Glacier Peak this summer

xernrek

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for replying. I am a school teacher whose month of June is rather booked - not to mention a few family committments that go into July. I don't think I can leave any earlier than the 19th of July

If you don't mind asking, What made you turn back last time?

Jim

Edited by xernrek

The NF trail was not maintained, so it was in bad shape. The road was closed a few miles away from the trailhead also. There were lots of downed trees to negotiate on the trail, and I was pretty worn out by the time I got to White Pass. Figured I'd save my strength for the hike back out thru the same crap.

Anyway, I'm looking to go again. I think possibly sooner than you'd like. Shoot me an e-mail if your plans change.

I will do that. I may go up to scout the area a month or two before the actual climb. My brother (who is some older than I am) has expressed interest but isn't sure if he's up to it but might join me for a scouting trip. From comments here and there I think the NF trail is better and people can drive to the trail head but I am not sure about that. I'll let you know if we go scouting.

Very cool that people are interested. This is the first time I have tried this kind of thing on this forum. I have been trying to interest a few family and friends in this adventure but have had limited success. I still hope to have a couple along but I recognize that this is by no means a little family outing and so I thought I would look around for people with experience and interest. Let me ask that anyone serious about this send me an email at jimc@willapabay.org and I'll try to get a planning list started.

Thought I would share briefly my own experience which includes a summit of Mt Rainier about 30 years ago, when I was more lucky than skillful; several trips to the mountains for a day or two of snow cave camping, Another attempt at Rainier about 5 years ago when I only got to the top of Disappointment Cleaver; A summit of Mt St Helens three years ago, Mt Adams 2 years ago, and a guided trip to the top of Baker last year. I've done some bicycling inbetween times. A couple of STPs and RSVPs.

Let me know what the rest of you are used to.

Jim

http://www.willapabay.org/~ljcarney/Glacier%20peak%20invitation.htm

Thought I would share a web page I made about my plan.

At this point, from what I have heard, conditioning is the thing. I have done some occasional workouts (2-3 times a week) on stair climbers and tread mills. This week I was able to ride my bike to work 3 days. 7 miles each way.

I have a 5 mile walk up and down logging roads that I've done a couple of times the last month or two but I plan to walk it with a back pack starting pretty soon.

When all is said and done, I think a big reason I've been doing these climbs is to have a reason to stay in shape.

• 1 month later...

Intereseted. Though curious as to which approach.

I've not done it from Darrington, only from Little Wenatchee. Summit once, the other time we turned back because of my buds feet getting blistered badly...

From LW..it's a long approach, but we made it a long day to the Gap then summit next day via DPC hitting upper Cool Glacier.

Keep me poste please as to exact dates and routes...

I think I would be interested as well, maybe my wife also. We climb a lot year around. I find the best training for climbing,

is climbing, even rock climbing with hiking etc translates well.

Shoot for some day trips or weekend trips.

I also want to do Whitehorse this spring and a lot of other climbs.

Dan