Hanging Stoves?

robpatterson5

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ironically they also sell the equipment for doing exactly that. :)

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442617754&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302696497&bmUID=1265786766286

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this for expedition climbing?

Edited by robpatterson5

I would recommend starting the white gas stove outside the tent, then bring it in. I am sure you understand why.

Ensure enough ventilation. I don't know which has a greater CO output but they will both kill ya. If you are warm inside while the stove is going, then you need more ventilation. If it is warm outside you should be cooking outside.

I would think that you would need a fair bit of vertical and horizontal space from the stove to any tent fabric. I think white gas puts out more heat and the whisperlight doesn't simmer very well so it will proly be cranking out the btu.

What are you doing in AK where you need to cook inside? Doing that at altitude is a good way to aggrevate and accelerate any altitude illness problems. (reducing the already low oxygen content)

good luck!

Thanks, were going up as a small team and because of this were not going to be taking a MegaMid.

I think the plan is to cook inside the vestibule but when I saw this I got thinking. It seems very convent on storm days when it could heat the tent and cook food at the same time, with primer paste I have to admit that I am tempted but wary...

Unless you have a huge vestibule I think you're going to want a mid in AK if you are staying for more than say 4-5 days.

The trick is score a rectangular piece of plywood when you get there... use it to prevent your mid pole from sinking into the snow over time as well as a cooking surface. With this setup you can bring a gas stove (XGK)

Even better: score two pieces of plywood! One for the mid pole one as a cooking board

Not the best photo but you can see the cooking board and pole board in the pic

P1000363.JPG

Hey Rob: just a thought... whatever system you are considering (white gas, canister, etc etc) you should go snow camping some weekend between now and then and try out your tentative system before you head north... if you already have a few different stoves see how long it takes you to make a gallon on each one. I bet you figure out quickly what works and what sucks

Thanks John, no thats the plan.

I was just looking at this at MEC the other day, thinking about it and wondering how to use it without cooking my tent. :)

Basically I was wondering before I spent the money on it (and possibly burned down my tent) if anyone had experience running a white-gas stove as a hanging setup?

that is some good looking cooking! Peppers and fish with noodles? Damn I am getting hungry but I can't cook that good at home.

Even if you are a small crew, you really might want to reconsider bringing a mid, at least carry it to the 14K camp which you will be using a sled for most of the time anyway. (except for the last carry) If you don't bring it, you might want to consider getting REAL friendly with a team that has one and is about on your schedule, cause you will be begging to use it many times. Chances are you will bring too much food. Cut back on your food enough to carry the mid. You can usually score some free food from people coming down. (This is of course assuming you are on the west butt route)

Thanks - we have a sil-nylon tarp we are thinking of bringing to set up over a snow hole but the peak on the mid would be nice. More a question of cost then of weight really.

Sounds like the mid is really nice, but maybe not a necessity? The idea of lying in my sleeping bag as we melt snow appeals to me, maybe vestabule cooking is the way to go though.

As has been mentioned before, start the stove outside (avoid the flareup) and also be sure it doesn't leak fuel. I had an MSR leak fuel and only a quick reaction saved my tent and me from being a torch (Hey, what's this puddle next to the stove?) Cooking from your bag is nice, but I'd put safety above comfort in that scenario. You should be able to build a nice snow wall/pit for cooking.

Most has already been mentioned, but I will offer my experience:

If you do choose liquid fuel, filter it into some new containers after you get it from the air service. You will be surprised at the amount of crap that comes out from frozen, unfiltered fuel. No reason not to do this as those containers are leaky and awkward anyway.

Bring the tarp and dig a good pit. The stove can be inset another foot into the ground in a 12x12 hole whether in a cook tarp area or in a vestibule. This same 12x12 hole also doubles as a dressing area for the tent.

It's been mentioned, but start the stove outside. You could also consider bringing a few small jetboil style canisters and a torch attachment to preheat the stove on really crappy days. The small canisters are easy to keep in the sleeping bag/parka/gear loft in the tent to keep warm. Just crack the tent door for a sec to light it, the flame is directional so the margin of safety as you hold it to preheat the stove is high. I own the Snow Peak one and although is is relatively heavy, it sure beats having to get up and get dressed to start the stupid stove.

Finally, you could build a hanging stove setup like this one: http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.php?type=vote_comments&object_id=483666&page=1#messages

Semi useful, personally I would find this setup annoying as you would need to ladle the water in and out, but for cooking it would be fine. Not so great for snow melting. However, I have not tried it, it is possible that it is great.