WTB: pitons

woodchips

I'm looking for approx 35 pitons (prefer lost arrows, not angles.) Old, rusty, retired is great... not for climbing, this is for an art project. Let me know what you've got; I assuming i'll have to collect these from a few places, so even if you've got just a few lying around, let me know.

Thanks

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you all set, or still needing pitons?

Still looking (El Jefe sounds like he's got some, but still working on it.) I'm really looking for lost arrow style, so I'd take those off your hands (I'm not sure if I've got all my piton terminology dialed, but I'm looking at the 6 on the right in the top pic, and the two in the middle in the bottom pic.)

PM me if you're willing to break 'em up and ship them.

Thanks, Ian

Edited by woodchips

Ed Leeper tested the hard iron vs soft iron back in the 70s and published the test results in Summit. He bolted a pull tester to the rock and pulled both soft and hard pins in the same placement. Maybe someone can scan it, but the results invariably showed the soft iron to be shockingly weak comparatively. Less than half the strength if my weak memory serves. It was the death knell for soft iron in this country.

The two middle lower orange ones are Lost Arrows. The top ones aren't, and not to be selfish, but to be honest I'd hate to see those soft euro spades not end up used for climbing as I still need to replace a couple of those out at Beacon.

Sounds like El Jefe has more what I'm looking for, so go for it Joseph. I'm staying out of the hard vs. soft pin argument; you and bill can sort that out!

• 3 weeks later...