Olympics Loops - Labor Day Weekend ideas?

dinomyte

Folks:

I am looking for some suggestions on decent loops to do over the weekend. Did Skyline Ridge a couple years ago and that was fun.

Looking for 40-ish miles depending on gain. Would also consider hiking in to a decent base camp for a scramble or two. Will probably be solo, so should not be too tough! Deception and Mystery sounded doable.

Any thoughts? (Will be reviewing my books tonight, just thought I'd see what folks had done.)

Not totally set on Olympics either.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/wilderness-trail-conditions.htm

I'm looking at similar hikes for next week; midweek. On account of the fire closures, Olympics options are limited. Do you require a scramble? I suspect it's a little late in the season for Mystery or Deception, but am no expert.

My itinerary, which I would appreciate suggestions on, is:

Dungeness Forks

Gray Wolf River

Gray Wolf Pass

Dose Meadows

Lost Pass

Cameron Pass

Three Forks

Dungeness Forks

it's about 47 miles. It would be shorter to drop in from Deer Park.

I was looking at Skyline Ridge too. Did you come back down the Quinault River?

Here is a trip that looks like it would be a lot of fun but it might be better when there is still some snow around.

Link

There is a bridge out on the lower Gray Wolf River Trail. I don't know how easy it is to ford and there may be a log or you could start at Slab Camp.

Edited by Lazyboy

• 2 weeks later...

Labor Day is over.

Obious loop is whaddya call it? Lunch Lakes? Other possibilities for relatively short loops are on Eastern side of Olympics.

I think there is a trip between Quinalt and Lake Cushman area that might be a fairly ambitious version of what you're asking.

"Trailless traverse" via notch by Mt. Stone is pretty good and not really a terrible challenge. I'm a wimp and soloed this a few years ago.

Ha! With me, it would have been a SKT!

Ended up in the White Pass area of Glacier Peak. Snow and pouring rain!

Gotta love it!

Sorry to hear that, Jon!

Lets plan on climbing something nice soon to redeem yourself, eh?

I have just returned from Puerto Rico (mostly a business trip rather than vacation - at the NASA-run Observatory) and am really struggling with getting back to the painful pouring rain 300 days a year.

A