Late August climbs for newbies

Garet

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the (relatively neglected) NW Ridge on Mt. Adams, though it does have over a thousand feet on talus that is vaguely loose and you could crush a finger when the boulders shift.

It offers great views the entire way and a couple hundred feet of exciting steep snow climbing at the top that has enough exposure to be very exciting but is very manageable for a party of mixed abilities if the leader has much guiding savvy. From an attractive timberline camp well served by trail it is straight up and down.

Garet,

I must say that I really enjoyed the North Ridge route. It affords a solitude that just isn't possible on the standard route. We had both the high camp and the route to ourselves. That being said- it is plain and simple a choss pile! I enjoyed it none the less... probably because we did the first half while it was still dark, daylight showed the gravity defying choss ridge.

Have fun on whatever route you choose!

If you aren't just limited to glacier climbs, I've always liked taking people to Sahale, Ruth, Ingalls, and South Early Winters Spire for their first tastes of alpine climbing. I've also done Baker in August and think it is far prettier than Adams.

If you aren't just limited to glacier climbs, I've always liked taking people to Sahale, Ruth, Ingalls, and South Early Winters Spire for their first tastes of alpine climbing. I've also done Baker in August and think it is far prettier than Adams.

The south side of Baker can be pretty broken up in late August and the bergschrund near the crater create some problems that time of year.

If Ruth sounds like it could be a possibility add Icy Peak to it. In August Ruth can be a smooth day and Icy will add some 3rd/4th class scrambling.

Headed up there this weekend.

Don't do Adams south route too late. The snow will be melted out and the scree field up to the flase summit is terrible. I did it last year and we almost turned around it was so bad. We ended up making it, but it was not fun. Coming down sucked too. Do it when there is snow...

I agree...Sahale would be a great choice for a first timer...I had never been but the Sahale Arm/Glacier route had a good rep for that...took a good buddy out who had never worn a pack before and he loved it and managed quite easily...Eldo would also be a fun one in August...Shuksan might be a bit more of an undertaking but good nonetheless

anyway you go though enjoy!!

The south side of Baker can be pretty broken up in late August and the bergschrund near the crater create some problems that time of year.

what? you mean like this??

baker_summit_27.jpg

but i'll second that...the Easton is a fun one into August :tup:

I like the (relatively neglected) NW Ridge on Mt. Adams, though it does have over a thousand feet on talus that is vaguely loose and you could crush a finger when the boulders shift.

It offers great views the entire way and a couple hundred feet of exciting steep snow climbing at the top that has enough exposure to be very exciting but is very manageable for a party of mixed abilities if the leader has much guiding savvy. From an attractive timberline camp well served by trail it is straight up and down.

Having just come down the N ridge, I have to ask - is the NW ridge the total opposite, because the N ridge was pretty unpleasant to descend, and I'd hate to ascend it. Folks still do it (the N ridge), but you are the first person I have seen recommend the NW ridge. That could be a bonus (waaaay off the beaten path - we saw 3 people ascending the N ridge on a TUESDAY).

BTW, does the NW ridge have any sort of trail at all?