Who dislikes Slesse's descent trail? Help fix it.

Jeremy_Frimer

Slesse is one of the great peaks of the Cascades... at least the climbing part is. The descent is horrendous. After a knee-pounding 5000' descent, 15 mi. of logging roads await. Having spoken to many people who have climbed Slesse, none of them said anything nice about the descent. Do you dislike it as much as me?

Now that we know what's wrong, it's time to make it better. The solution I've devised is a descent route via Crossover Pass. The route goes... but it's confusing in the Alpine and bushy below. So the plan is to make it straightforward and bush-less.

[img:center]http://jeremyfrimer.com/Photos_files/Media/Crossover%20Descent/Crossover%20Descent.jpg[/img]

This past weekend, my wife and I began the work. We cut 200m of trail through some of the worst bush. After another 200m, we'll reach old-growth forest, which is smooth sailing. As fun as it was on my own (I'm joking), I would *love* some help from those who also love Slesse and too want to see it improve.

I put up a notice at the Squamish Climbing Forum before going but go no replies. I'm hoping that our American counterparts will put forth a better showing. Any helpers?

The plan is to spend a weekend up there in late July and do the whole thing in that time. We'll have to figure out a date. If interested, contact me directly at jeremyfrimer (at) gmail (dot) com

Thanks!

Jeremy Frimer

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete_H, is that what you think every time you clip into a bolt that some Commy left for you to clip? Is that what you think every time you hear a fire truck on its way to put out a fire? Haven't you heard? Red is in. (And resistance is futile.)

bstach, the bush will grow back, just as it does on the approach road/trail. The approach road/trail gets maintained every year to keep it open. This route will need the same. Luckily, it would only need about 400 yards of upkeep... whereas the approach road/trail is two or three miles of pruning.

A club of commies up in Chilliwack go up there regularly to keep the way open.

• 3 weeks later...