Fuhrer Finger/Kautz Beta

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike's Rainer blogspot has a recent route report - said 2nd technical pitch mostly ice. I'll be up on the route this coming weekend and if the weather cooperates I'll write up a TR.

The finger had recent ski tracks - I was skiing Muir on past Thursday.

I realize it's been a couple of weeks, but I think I answered your Kautz question here:

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/887054/Kautz_conditions_6_7_09#Post887054

My brother-in-law is a climbing ranger up there, so tomorrow evening I could probably have even more current beta for ya.

When we were up there the FF looked good, and was getting skied pretty much every day.

As I said in my linked post, the Fan approach to the Kautz is highly not recommended. Unless of course you like playing dodge ball with Rainier choss.

Cheers.

Jimbo

I did FF a few weeks ago... as mentioned above, the fan is nasty. We went uphill of the fan on the Nisqually and took the next gully to the ridge, there should be a path beat in by now. We experienced no rock fall on the way up the finger, and very minor stuff on the way down it. The tricky part was navigating the Nisqually between 11,400' and 13,000' as we traversed right, onto the Nisqually as opposed to going to the top of Wapowety Cleaver. Hope that helps.