Recommended Camping at Tieton Rimrock Lake?

denalidave

I'm heading over to Tieton this Friday for my first time and was hoping for some beta on the best place(s) to camp. From what little research I did online, it seems Rimrock lake has some nice areas? I don't mind paying a reasonable fee ($10ish/night) but would do just as well with free camping. Any good recommendations?

Might as well recommend the best areas to climb there too... Prefer trad, up to 5.10. How is the multi-pitch stuff on Goose Egg?

Thanks! :)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mostly bivy with a Vanagon, so bear that in mind.

I've camped somewhere near the outlet end, on some penninsula. I can't recall if it was a real campground or not, I don't recall paying, but it was late in the season a good decade ago.

There's an okay free forest service land bivy across the street from Goose Egg, next to where a dirt road heads south off the pavement. Decent water from the spring on the far side of the road.

Further down canyon, there's a dirt road off the highway to the south, while you're on the stretch of road between bridges and on the south bank of the river. Take that road up hill, stay right at the intersection, and it will drop back down to the river. Numerous free bivy sites here.

Higher up, you can drive up the road towards Lava Point, ample free forest service bivy locations there too.

Plenty of FS campgrounds in the canyon too, but I hates to pay, and they're nothing special.

Lots and lots of great climbing. The Bend is a fine choice for crack stuff in the up to 5.10 range, though there are wonderful routes at pretty much every crag in the canyon. If its hot, consider Wildcat Wall higher up, but I don't think there's much in terms of a low key warm up route. I always see snakes going to that crag. Ride The Lightning on Goose Egg is a good introduction to the rock - not at all a sport route despite the presence of bolts. It's a great adventure route, has it's share of suspect rock and demands a certain delicacy, absolutely don't get on it if someone is above you on the route. Bring tennies for the walk off.

Have fun, you'll love it.

Not sure if Off White is talking about the same place, but the usual place we camp for free next to the river is now gated and closed.

It's the turn right there next to the bridge, basically across the canyon from the The Cave climbing area. It used to be THE free place to camp, with spots right on the river. But i guess i understand why they closed it up, it was getting trashed down there. Now just roll up the road higher and camp up there.

JL

After finding out that the access to the usual camp spots near the road between the bridges was closed, we ended up camping at one of the numerous pullouts along Hwy 12 right next to the river. There are also some nice spots on the way to and at Lava Point (off of Soup Creek Rd just across Hwy 12 from Hause Creek CG).

Moon Rocks also has a few nice 5.10 cracks.

Yep, the road to the normal dirtbag campgrounds (across the river and between the gwo bridges) is gated right at the turn off at the top of the hill (just past the cattle guard.)

Regarding Rimrock Lake, it's been a while, but there are several camp spots near the outlet. There is a stream that drains into the lake just on the other side of the highway. The first road past the Dam crosses the river. Follow for ~ a mile then there will be a road off to the left that follows this creek. There is a pay campground with toilets on the right, but a nice dirtbag campspot along the sand next to the creek.

Not sure if Off White is talking about the same place, but the usual place we camp for free next to the river is now gated and closed.

It's the turn right there next to the bridge, basically across the canyon from the The Cave climbing area. It used to be THE free place to camp, with spots right on the river. But i guess i understand why they closed it up, it was getting trashed down there. Now just roll up the road higher and camp up there.

JL

:noway: Oh, now that's a damn shame. Understandable though I suppose, last Memorial Day Weekend we wound up farther along that road than ever before and wound up with a shit heap of a site, spent a solid half hour in the morning picking up other people's debris, beer cans, etc.